Gibson Brands Forums

Low Saddle on Just the High E string

Pickax

My 2005 J-45's saddle is low on the high E string. There is a good amount of height on the saddle with the other 5 strings and they all have good break angles across the saddle. However, there is not much of a break angle on the high E string due to the low saddle on that end.

Since owning this 45, I've observed this same characteristic on many other J-45's so it's certainly not unique to my Guitar.

Just the othe day I was reading in a recent thread where a forum member stated:

"Add to that the typical Gibson flattop bridge (it's curved on a Martin for instance) vs. the 12" radius curved fretboard. This means that the outer strings will quickly lose break angle. Especially the high E. (Slanted saddle plus lower action for trebles.)"

This assessment gives me an explanation as to why the saddle is low on the high E string. My Guitar has the right amount of relief, perfect action at the nut, 6/64" on low E at the 12th and 4/64" on high E at the 12th. The Guitar plays and sounds great. I can drive it hard without buzzing.

I'm relatively new to Gibson's after playing Martins (still own 2) and Martins have a much more uniform height in the saddle across the length of the saddle. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing this. If this assessment is correct, Martin's radiused bridge would allow a more uniform height on the saddle.

Any thoughts on this subject? Is it due to Gibson's bridge not matching the radius of the fretboard? [biggrin]

The shape of the saddle should match the radius of the fretboard. The shape of the bridge would not affect this.

Martin's have a flatter fretboard than Gibson's so that would explain what you are seeing. If the saddle is shaped correctly the distance should be pretty consistent.

Is it due to Gibson's bridge not matching the radius of the fretboard?

Yep. (The quote was from my post in another thread.)

Ed S wrote:

The shape of the saddle should match the radius of the fretboard. The shape of the bridge would not affect this.

If the top surface of the bridge does not curve with the saddle, it will of course affect the break angle of the strings. (At the outer strings, the -rounded- saddle is lower, but the pin holes in the -flat- bridge will still be on same height as those for the middle strings. So the break angle for the outer strings will be less.)

Unless the bridge pins are drilled in a smiley pattern, with the outer holes closer to the saddle.

X

I was hoping you would weigh in on this one. Your assessment is of interest to me as I've been wondering about this for awhile. Given that it plays perfect and sounds great (killer tone) I'll just keep playing it and deal.

Archived