Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for help ES-335 Shopping

ben2e

I'm just trying to educate myself mostly on which models exist and mostly which to avoid. I'll likely buy a fairly standard model (Cherry or Sunburst) with nickel hardware. I have no particular need for binding. I know there's a studio model so if it plays as well and has hope of some future resale value (just in case) I'm fine with saving the cash. I'd love an ebony fretboard but that seems rare from the first searching I've done. I'm of course aware of the "Play It" rule and do it whenever possible. I already have a hollowbody for Jazz so this would be more likely for everything else.

Any models that are particularly desirable (which might sell used < $3k) ? Sometimes there are just guitarist favorite models.

Are there model years to avoid ?

Any sites or threads that are good reads ? I attempted a few searches but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Ben

here is a great site for info: http://www.es-335.net/links.html

i bought a red satin-finish no-binding 335 from musician's friend about a year ago for $2000. think they've gone up to $2200. this model seems to be a mf/gc exclusive.

mine is a gen-u-wine 335, just no frills. i love it and recommend it.

you can find new 335s in local music stores (meaning, not the mega chains) in the standard finishes for well under 3 grand.

used is another option, of course. i bought a beautiful recent-production ebony 335 used on ebay for $1800 last year, also.

some scuttlebutt i read just last week is that 1970s 335s seem to be dogs but 1980s vintage 335s are good axes.

good luck with your quest!

Not sure exactly what you are after ("used<$3K"??)...used? vintage? new?

A new Satin Ebony can be had for $1800 (with binding!), a nice normal finish for $2250ish, even one with some pretty nice figuring in the top. The few I tried all sounded great - 2009 & 2010s.

I had to return the '10 satin cause it had a grain/finish flaw, but otherwise it was really nice; and if not for the 336 I ended up with I would have been thrilled with the '09 vintage burst they also had - decent looking top! The fancy cherry was a bit store-worn, but still sweet looking & sounding otherwise.

I saw the satin ones. If satin is $1000 less, great. I'll have to check one out in person. The gloss is beautiful. So yes, < $2k would be preferable. That said, if there are vintage ones lurking that aren't too much more, I'd be interested but I don't know the year and collectability so I'm a bit out of my league there. I do want to play the thing. Sometimes the vintage stuff can be a trap if you're going to destroy the value of the instrument by fixing it up etc.

I found my lightly figured blonde maple 2000 335 on craigslist for $1750. I didn't even haggle, having recently sold my '63 Country Gent for $3100. Caveat: don't accept it based on photos. I drove 310 miles one way for mine.

There's a tremendous range of variability on 335s, so it is wise to read as much as you can, then get few in your hands to get a feel for them. There are several great books on Gibsons and the one link above is also a good reference on vintage original 335s. I gather from your post you're looking for a newer one, not vintage, which go fro $12k and up. Many detail changes occurred in '65 (trapeze tailpiece, shallower neck angle, narrow nut width) which have somewhat dampened enthusiasm for them, particularly the Norlin era. Like all Gibsons from that era, some are great, some are dogs.

Around '81 Norlin decided to release a "dot reissue", which has stayed in the line and consistently seems to be based upon the '61 neck profile. It's similar to the profile on current '61 SGs. The current range of 335 offerings is idiotically confusing. All you can do is pick a rice range and shop for one, try before you buy. Right now I have a vintage '66 and an '09 '59 RI. Playing feel is quite different between them, but both are killers.

ben2e, I payed 2500 (and change) for mine brand new at GC. It was on sale, I'm not really sure why it was on sale, but it's cherry flamed maple and has binding. I had to have it setup properly which cost 75.00, so for about 2600 or so I have a beautiful new guitar. Other than the setup it was flawless and sounds and plays great. Not sure where you are located but I think if you take your time and keep looking in the stores you may find a good deal.

I did see a '67 on Craigslist for 4k. Sounds like pre-66 is what you want to look for. It did look in good shape though. $4K may be a bit high for me unless it's a steal.

$2500 sounds really good for a flame-top from what I've seen. I'll have to check the local GC. I did see one on eBay for around that but then you don't get to try it or have any warranty.

I heard a few folks crowing about a Japanese made Epiphone 335 Elite that was supposed to be pretty good but tough to get. Anyone know how much better they are than the Chinese made ones ?

You got to get past GC (& MF, and Sweetwater, and Sam Ash, etc. etc.)...All their prices are exactly the same (?!?), and all TOO high! (unless they are doing some blow-out specials or whatnot)

I spent part of the weekend in a GC and Sam Ash in LI just aching to buy something...they had a decent selection, but I knew their prices were really nothing special.

2 nights ago I saw and played a spanking new 2010 ES-137 Custom Lightburst - in/on GC et. al. it is $2799.00..in this store? $2059.00. New ES-137 Classic...GC? $2049.00. Local store - $1559.00. CS-336F...GC? $3399. Same chain different local store tag: $2699 (my price was even cheaper). New ES-335 Figureds were $2299.00, plain $2099.00, etc. etc. etc.

BTW, that 137 Custom is causing some serious GAS on my part - still figuring how to pay for it before its gone!!

Lightburst with gold hardware - beautiful and what great tone! Only thing is it has the same 57s as my 336, and I wonder if they will sound too similiar.

You got to get past GC (& MF' date=' and Sweetwater, and Sam Ash, etc. etc.)...All their prices are the same, and all TOO high![/quote']

jmg has it exactly right! the local store here in ft. collins has a new 335 in vintage sb for something like $2,400. pm me if you'd like more details.

this thread is the start of good research but...

Regardless of price tag, resale of a specific type, whatever... Gibson should take care of you if there's a warranty issue.

If you're buying it to play, play before you buy. No two guitars are the same. Period.

Resale doesn't help your pickin', nor does color or whatever. Run it through your amp. Better still, your amp and another amp or two, tube and solid state that you might use.

Still, how do you "feel" about the "feel" of the instrument? If you plan to play it until it's stolen, broken beyond repair or you lose the ability to play, that's the most important thing. Does if feel "special" when you play it?

But then, that's an old guy's perspective only.

m

Bluesman1989

As you may have read above, there are model variations and also each instrument is a shade different.

I would wager, however, that the shape of the instrument would make the same neck feel different, assuming you could move the same neck to the different bodies.

That's one reason I personally tend to talk about "feel" of an individual instrument and the individual picker.

m

Archived