Gibson Brands Forums

SG CLASSIC w/P90's: Which one do you prefer from 2001 on?

sgclassic

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello. I have always been a Gibson/Epi guy from when i bought my first Epi Standard like 16 years ago. Still have it and sanded it down to its natural finish which looked like the high end natural AA flame top Gibsons.

Well, to make it short and sweet, I used to work at Guitar Center and i never had an SG nor played P90's but saw it on Musicians Friend. Being that GC owned Musicians Friend, I special ordered this guitar and for the price i was amazed, plus i got it for cost working there so you can imagine my amazement when it arrived and i plugged it in. Believe it or not i am the one who got GC to carry the SG Classic. It arrived at like 7 in the morning and i had an hour til work. That week there was a convention in NYC, born and raised and still live here, and all the heads of GC were waiting around the store and walking around or waiting to go. Well, i started to play when this suit comes up to me asking what the guitar was. After i explained that it was a special run from Gibson through Musicians Friend, i find out that he is head of East Coast sales. He asked me the price and when i told him his jaw dropped and he said hat the sound was amazing. He then asks me to come with him to the offices where my bosses and the other heads of GC were sitting.Being scarred shitless, he had me explain the guitar and the situation. Right then and there he personally called Gibson and left a message with one of the heads saying that he wanted GC to start carrying the guitar so make more. Just like that this guitar became available to anyone. All i got was a shitty piece of paper saying i worked above and beyond but it looked like a childs diploma graduating from 1st grade or something.

It became my favorite and its been my main guitar ever since. I eventually bought 2 more over the years. then they said they were discontinuing them in 2007 or 2008 and within a few months they were back in production. I bought a new one and felt that it was more solid, a bit heavier which to me was fine and last had a different neck that i fell in love with. A bit wider and more solid and where the neck meets the body was super solid.

FYI: They have started using 300k pots instead of the standard 250k but im not sure exactly when. The body is again very solid and well built. Heavier than original.

Please add or comment or if u have any questions, -D

Archived