Gibson Brands Forums

335 Model Help - DOT Reissue or just a 335

ben2e

I'm trying to understand the 335 models. I'm in the market for a used one and many are advertised as "DOT Reissue". If you look at Gibson's site, They have a 335 Plain Top, Figured Top, and then a 1959 VOS Reissue.

Am I correct in assuming that most of the 335's I see listed as DOT Reissue are really the same as the plain top model and not the more expensive 1959 Reissue ? (the all seem to have Grover tuners which don't seem very "reissue").

Here's an example I found DOT Reissue

For that matter, why is the Reissue model an extra $2k. I have trouble finding the feature differences on it. I could only find mention of CTS pots and bumble bee tone caps. Is that all you get for $2k ?

The other price difference I don't get is the es-137 classic. Substantially cheaper than the 335 but it's tough to tell why (other than it doesn't have the same model history).

The Dot Reissue is the standard production 335, and comes in flame or plain tops. Any other 335's currently in production are "special", like the Reissues on the high end, or the Satin finished ones on the lower end. Yes the "19xx Reissue" ones are vastly more expensive, you are paying for the vintage styling and details. Whether that's worth the extra money is up to you...

In my avatar the black one is a Dot Reissue and the sunburst is a 1963 Block Reissue.

The more expensive ones are for the obsessive/compulsive guys. The less expensive ones are fine: I have a 2000 Dot, with Grovers and the peghead inlay in the lower position, and it's a terrific guitar. Would I have bought the model with the Klusons and the peghead inlay higher up? Yes, if I had found one for the same price. I wouldn't pay more for cosmetic details, and I think Grovers are better (as did Jimmy Page and a lot of other pros who replaced the Klusons with them). But there is so much history behind the 335 that a lot of guys want one exactly like the one Roger Roquenrolle played on TV in 1959. Me, I bought it to play.

Archived