Gibson Brands Forums

What do you use of your Robots capabilities? Plus other questions

daveinspain

I have a 1st addition Robot, which I love... In my case I am only using the auto tuning in regular EADGBE. Once and a while I use DADGAD. I have not had good luck with string up and sting down so I don't use it. When changing string I disengage the robot tuners and do the first tuning manual. I have had strings brake in string up mode (caution ware safety googles if you use this feature).

Has anyone done a recalibration? I notice when the Robot tunes itself there is usually a couple slightly sharp or slightly flate strings. I was looking at the calibration instruction in the manual but got intimidated, seemed very complicated.

I would like to store some custom tunings like half step up, half step down, full step up, and one and a half steps up... but you have to write over factory tunings to do so. I can't believe they didn't make half step up and down part of the factory tuning options... What tunings would you write over if you had to write over three of them?

I have the 2nd issue of the robot. I use all of the preset tunings in a cover band. I try to structure the set list around songs that require the least radical tuning changes to avoid or minimize complications.

I use the string up feature and have never experienced a string break during this process, although I am always keenly aware of the possibility. Your comment about wearing protective eyewear is most appropriate.

I have not needed to recalibrate. I put mine on my Peterson strobe and it was very very close in all tunings. Too close to mess with.

If I overwrote any of the presets it would probably be the DADGAD one. I only use it for Kashmir. I use the others for more tunes.

Mike

Gibson Les Paul Studio Limited Robot (Purple)

2001 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10 Top with birds

1979 Gibson E2 Explorer

1990's Steinberger GL4T

1965 Fender Mustang

1976 Fender Statocaster

1995 Rickenbacker 360/12

1972 Martin D-35

1973 Martin D-18

Hernandez Classical

Epiphone SG with Roland GK2 Pickup

Marshall 100 watt TSL Head

Marshall 1960 A Speaker Cabinet

Fender Twin Reverb

Custom Pedal Pad pedalboard

I am in a original band that that has a Sabbath/ Floyd feel. I play a lot of slide so, E tuning , Drop D and Double Drop D are a given. I bought this guitar for that, an not having to carry 5 guitars to rehearsal. Also because I can program it for a Special slide tuning I use, F#F#CF#C F#, for a LED ZEP feel. I go for the highest level of accuracy, as once I am in a tuning, retuning goes in half the time. I use string up mode a lot .... I have it programed to always go to last tuning too. This is a real time saver on the fly.

Archived