Gibson Brands Forums

unusual gibson?

jeffreylucky1

GibEp.jpg

Here is a shot of a 140 I used to illustrate mode of severe failure. Compare the neck blocks:

MashedRosetteonFT140.jpg

Here is my FT145SB Epi

LBracketoutside.jpg

Ignore the 'ears' on the sides. Those are brackets I added to reinforce this joint. The above the hole ladder brace hasn't been installed yet in this picture.

The Gibson in question does have an Epiphone like neck block.

The sound hole rings are identical on all shown.

Can you see remnants of a sound hole label?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GibEp.jpg

Here is a shot of a 140 I used to illustrate mode of severe failure. Compare the neck blocks:

MashedRosetteonFT140.jpg

Here is my FT145SB Epi

LBracketoutside.jpg

Ignore the 'ears' on the sides. Those are brackets I added to reinforce this joint. The above the hole ladder brace hasn't been installed yet in this picture.

The Gibson in question does have an Epiphone like neck block.

The sound hole rings are identical on all shown.

Can you see remnants of a sound hole label?

there are no remnants of a label....not even discoloration where one would have been. i am fairly certain there never was a label or it was removed very early. there would be a color change if there was a label on there very long. i have removed stickers (added by players) on several guitars (some only on for less than a year) and you can always see where they once were.

Guest rogerb

I agree, I think this guitar has been modified from an Epiphone. This logo was used only in 1982 on the Sonex 180 and the GGC-700, both are electric guitars.

Tommy' date=' do you think those plugged holes in the fretboard may conceal screws that someone used to re-fasten the neck to the block?

Red 333[/quote']

after looking at the holes again, they are exactly the same size and position as fret marker dots would be but on the wrong frets. the double hole is consistent with the 12th fret marker and single is consistent with the other dots....really adds to the mystery. could it have been a factory reject neck that was drilled for markers on the wrong frets or something goofy like that?

I agree' date=' I think this guitar has been modified from an Epiphone. This logo was used only in 1982 on the Sonex 180 and the GGC-700, both are electric guitars.[/quote']

do you think this was done at the factory of by an individual? the logo is a "factory" looking job. it can't be felt like a sticker and no edges around logo (like fender decals). it looks like a silk-screen and a very crisp one at that. this is the part i've looked at the closest because i hadn't seen this logo on an acoustic and figured it was a fake. if someone were going to go to the trouble to add a logo and make it look this professional i would think they would use the traditional logo and reshape the headstock while they were at it....but who knows. i am not saying this is a gibson but the finish and logo sure look factory to me.

GibEp2.jpg

It's hard to tell with these photos, but "A" looks like either a water stain on the wood or something that happened when the picture was taken. I get these from time to time with my digital camera. It may be a halo around a fleck of dust on the lense.

"B" could be a hole left behind where the MOP fret marker fell out. Although I am detecting the possiblity of a rusty flat-head, countersunk wood screw.

I cannot say for certain that this guitar is a re-branded Epiphone. It is quite possible the then (when?) owners of Gibson may have used some Matsumoku building techniques, but it sure looks fishy.

I think KSDADDY said the stamped serial numbers look small. It would be simple for anyone with a $20.00 set of number stamps to find a bona fide Gibson and copy that serial number onto another guitars headstock. The Guitar Dater Project can tell you the year it was made, but The Guitar Dater Project doesn't specify model. Only Gibson records could tell you that.

Archived