Gibson Brands Forums

56-57 GA-5 Les Paul Jr Amp

joryk

Hi,

I have a problem with my 56-57 Ga-5 Les Paul Jr. Amp. I recently blew the original output transformer and am having significant difficulties in locating a replacement. I would prefer a NOS/ Used Vintage one, but will settle for a reissue if absolutely needed. If anyone could direct me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful. Also, I have had some difficulty identifying the exact year of my amp. The case is a 52-56 style, bur the 5x7 Rols speaker indicates a manufacture date of the 4th week of 57 indicateing that it should be the Skylark style . I spoke to several people in regards to this and keep getting different opinions. A guy from Gibson cust. svc. told me that it may have been a leftover from the 52-56 era that had a 57 speaker put into it. Has anyone heard of or seen this before?

Thanks,

JoryK

Guest BentonC

Hi,

Not sure about sourcing a vintage transformer, but you can get pretty good reissues through Mercury Magnetics.

The manufacturing at that point in time was not as consistent as it is currently, so it is entirely likely that it was built one year, and they didn't complete and ship it for several more years.

Archived