Gibson Brands Forums

BB King 355 stereo ?????

reefmadness

Greetings. I need help trouble shooting my BBKing 355/Ampeg Super Echo Twin. I have an old Ampeg Super Echo Twin Stereo guitar amplifier, but cannot get Neck humbucker and Bridge Humbucker to play in seperate channels. Before I bring the amp to a tech - I would love in put from ya'll. Gibson says no special cord is needed, but if I plug into the stereo jack I get neck only. I have tried a stereo cord with the same result. I have not tried a Y cable, but feel I should not have too - per Gibson... Both cables were plugged into the stereo jack of the amp and tested in Ch 1 and ch 2 jacks as well. All seem to work fine, but no STEREO. I realize it may be an amp issue, but would like to rule out the guitar being the source of my frustration first seeing it would probably be a cheaper fix. All help is apreciated

Hi and welcome.

Does this 355 have the traditional single stereo output socket on top, or the more modern two output sockets on the edge?

If it has one on top:

(a) you will need a Y-cable. This will have a stereo plug at the guitar end and two mono plugs at the amplifier ends. Alternatively you can run stereo cable to a breakout box and then two mono leads to the amp(s)

([biggrin] if you use a normal mono guitar lead you will only get the neck pickup (possibly out of deference to jazz players).

If it has two outputs on the edge:

(a) the output nearest the strap button, if used alone with a mono lead will function like a regular output and you will get both pickups coming through depending on the switch setting.

([angry] if you plug a mono lead into each output, the output nearest the button will be the neck and the other the bridge

© you do not need a stereo/Y cable.

Suggest you test with an amp that you know is working.

If the guitar has a single output on top, it is possible that what you are experiencing is the result of a botched mono-isation job.

RN

RN -

Thanks for the info. I have the model with two jacks on the side. If I am understanding your post I need to use 2 traditional cords. Is that correct? I'll go try it now eventhough it kind of defeats the purpose of having 1 stereo input on my Amp.

I tried two cords with 2 amps and running each cords into the seperate inputs (CH1 & CH2) of the Ampeg stereo amp......works like a charm. I'll probably try a y cable on the amp side to check out that single stereo jack.....we'll see - I've never found a tech I am happy with on this old 1963 amp and don't know too much about the inside of it.

Thanks again I really appreciate it!!!!!

If anyone out there knows anything about these old Ampeg super echo twins feel free to chime in. This one is an ET-2B

I'll probably try a y cable on the amp side to check out that single stereo jack.....

You DO NOT have a single stereo jack on your guitar, they are BOTH mono. A stereo jack (TRS) on the guitar end to a Y cable on the amp side will NOT work. One of the jacks in your guitar is what is known as a "closed circuit" type. When NOTHING is plugged in it automatically send the signal to the other jack to combine with the signal already wired to that jack, for mono operation of both pickups through the single mono output jack. When a plug is inserted into the first jack it disconnects the "jumper" to the other jack for isolated operation of one pickup to each jack.

If you want to run your guitar in stereo with one cable, it will need to have TWO 1/4" mono plugs on both ends.

L5Larry,

Thanks for the post. I obviously wasn't to clear when I wrote that. What I ment by a Y on the AMP side was plugging the single end of the Y into the stereo input jack of the amplifier and having each mono cord, 1 from each output jack on the guitar, plug into the two inputs of the y - This is of course assuming there is such thing as a female Y cable? Do you think it would work?

I am starting to think my amp was designed for an older single output stereo guitar, so the end result may be if I want to use that single stereo jack I have to buy a vintage gibson. What a shame I hope my wife understands.......

In theory, what you stated is correct. So what you would need is a "stereo" cable with a stereo 1/4" TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) jack on one end (amp), and a two mono 1/4" TS (Tip-Sleeve) jack "fan-out" on the other end (guitar). This type cable is available from places like Guitar Center, for it is still used as a patch cable for the "effects loops" in some mixing consoles.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-TRS-M--Dual-1-4---Patch-Cable-100226854-i1170946.gc

You could also put together this type of configuration from a few Radio Shack adapters and a A/V hook-up cable.

There may also be some question on how exactly your "old" amp operates in "stereo". The term "stereo" has been used in the musical instrument field to mean many different things, from channel switching, to two channels into one speaker (or paralleled multi-speakers), to two channels into two individually dedicated speakers (real stereo), etc. So you'll probably have to do some experimenting once your get your hook-up problem solved to see exaclty what you get out of your "stereo" amp.

Archived