Gibson Brands Forums

Strings for LG-0

gibbylgo22

Hi

Just wanted some opinions on string gauges or types for a Gibson LG-0. I installed the bridge myself, so I think I am leaning towards light gauges just because I don't want to push it.

Is there any recommended gauge or brand that users prefer for the LG-0?

I'd like to keep the guitar as true to its original shape as possible. Are there any strings that give it a brighter sound, more vintage sound, better action, etc?

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks

Tom

I have all original LG-0 from '59. I was told about 15 years ago by a guitar luthier/repair guy that due to the bracing and build that I should only use extra light gauge strings on it. I did so for 15 years. I recently took it to another guitar guy to have it re-fretted and he said that I should try lights on it. When I explained to him what the other guy had said about using lights he said that, "this guitar will handle the extra tension provided by the lights fine." So when I get it back I'll be using lights. He also added that I did not want to use mediums on it as they would be too much for the guitar.

Not to derail this topic but does anyone know what size case would fit an LG-0??? I would like to get a hard shell case for mine but I don't have the guitar right now to measure it.

My LG 1 fits into an old Martin hard shell case that was likely for a classical. LG's are almost exactly Classical guitar size so try some cases that would fit a classical guitar.

I would still love to find one of the old Alligator cases from the 60's for mine, but the Martin case is likely much safer for the LG1.

Archived