Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-48

northlander30

Hey everyone, I am more then certain I joined a long time ago but the forum doesn't recognize my log in name. Anyway I am also certain I asked this question here but if I didn't here it goes. I have a Gibson L-48 built in 1951 it was my grandfathers and my dad has given it to me recently. It hasn't seen any real play time in about 30 or so years.

That being said, I had taken it out of the case to have a look and a strum and I went to tune the d string and the tuning key crumbled in my fingers. Now knowing how old this guitar is, My heart sank when this happened. I said OMG what do I do now!

The tuning keys look like Kluson type keys and I want or need to replace these tuning keys, but want something that won't ruin the value of this guitar if possible. Are there vintage style Gibson/Kluson tuning keys to be had? I know there are Kluson tuners on the market but I want something close to the original.

I am an accomplished guitar player of 33 years now and I am only 38 years old. Yes I started playing when I was 5 in lessons. I want this guitar to be part of my everyday playing BUT this guitar has also had a pickup system added to it in the late 60's. The jack is a screw in coaxial type jack and I was told there is an adapter made that turns this into a 1/4 inch jack.

Does anyone know where I might get one of these?

Any help on this would be appreciated!. I belong to several guitar forums and no one can really tell me what I need to know so what better place to ask then at Gibson!

Thanks

Ian

If there is nothing wrong eith the gears and shafts of the tuning machines, it is possible to replace just the buttons on the existing tuning machines.

Go to a guitar parts site such as Allparts, and do a search for "buttons", or "tuner buttons', or "Kluson buttons", etc.

http://www.allparts.com/

As for the jack, you can always make (or have made) the type adapter your talking about. OR, you could make a guitar cable with the proper plug on one end. OR, you might change out the jack to a 1/4" type. I would need to see pictures to know the specific installation.

Sorry to hear about the key, but what a great piece of history! The problem you have is not uncommon, particularly with early 50s and beyond plastic buttons, or vintage plastics in general. WRT tuner buttons, Dan Erlwine has a fix that involves removing the tuning machines and dipping the plastic button into epoxy, getting a complete, thorough coating. Let them each dry with the button facing downward, letting any excess drip off. Then carefully clean off any drip evidence with sandpaper & polish. He claims this will prevent any further deterioration. See his GP Repair Guide for complete details.

All that being said, what I usually do on a vintage guitar that is a player is to simply remove the original machines and store them away, replacing them with modern reproductions of the same type. The modern machines are frankly much better than the old ones and you have the originals stored away safely.

Thanks for the replies guys! I had the idea to just alter a cable with the screw in type just for this guitar , won't be hard to make I just need to get a hold of the right thread count screw on cap.

I was planning just to replace the keys altogether with newer style but close to the same style and shape and just store the originals away. They are an open 3x3 mounting system 3 keys per strip. I will just have a look at the sites you both suggested and see what I can come up with.

This guitar has a little players wear on the sides but overall I would say this guitar is in a bout 90-95 % finish condition and has one of the lowest actions of any guitar I have played (acoustic).

Is there a place to post pictures here? I can show you the jack and the guitar.

Thanks again

Ian

Archived