Gibson Brands Forums

Model No. ACE?

RockabillyWillie

Can anyone help me find more information on my guitar. It seems to be a one of a kind or a very limited run. I can't seem to find anyone that's ever heard of it. According to the original hang tag, it was made on 4/30/1997. The model number - ACE, and serial number is 7 9464. It's a Chambered Les Paul Standard, flamed cherry maple top, ebony fretboard w/ abalone trapezoid inlays, and the custom shop wreath log on the headstock. So far it sounds like an Elegant right... here is where it gets weird. Unlike the elegant's, it has a clear pickgaurd, yes it came with it...and it also came with the brown 50's reissue les paul case with the pink lining and the satin cover cloth in it. All the 1997 Elegants I've seen came with the black historic case. What's also weird is that the serial number 7 9464, is in the form of the Les Paul Standard reissues. It is ink stamped on the back of the headstock. The funniest part about it is the Model No.... ACE. I wonder if it was mad for Ace Frehley? lol Any information on this guitar would be helpful.

Hi RockabillyWillie ,

In our archive I found a brochure where the Les Paul Elegant is depicted with a clear pickguard, they were available like that. Sometimes it is hard to trace with which case the guitar should have come. We mostly do not keep records of the cases used (could the case have been swapped by someone?).

If you mail a few pictures (full front/back views and front and back of the peghead) to service@gibson.com we can trace the serial number for you. We can also mail you some info material on the Les Paul Elegant.

Archived