Gibson Brands Forums

Help dating my 335?

meinfronds

Hope this is the right place to post this. Need some help dating my 335. It is walnut with a long string pull and I was told when I bought it that it was a 1974. But, it has a coil tap switch, and I was later told that was only on 1977 models. Can anyone help me? I know you'll need to ask some more questions, so please feel free! Thanks in advance!

Wow, someone else has a Walnut 335 TD Custom (coil tapped)? I have never seen one other than mine. If I dated mine correctly via the serial number it is a 81. When I got it 18 years ago I was told it was a 71, thanks to the wonders of the internet and the serial number search on the gibson website you should be able to decode it.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

-monkee13

Yeah, got one too! Thanks for the info. But, here's where it gets confusing: It's a six digit stamped serial number, and has the purple/white/black label inside that says Kalamazoo. If I'm reading the PDF from the link you gave me, it should be '70 - '75, and that's what's giving me problems.

Thoughts?

The 6 digit serial number does indicate 1970-75 and our records also show that the coil tap was available in 1977. I suppose it's possible that the neck was stamped in late1975 but did not get put on a body until late 1976 and the guitar finished out in early 1977. I realize that may "forcing the facts to fit" so to speak but it's a possibilty. Or perhaps it was custom ordered this way and was the inspiration for offering the coil tap on the model in 1977. This is all speculation of course but that's really all we can do with these sometime. Our best guestimate as it were.

Whatever year it is, you got a cool guitar there. [biggrin]

Archived