Gibson Brands Forums

Gold Hardware

jeng7777

Does anyone have a good way of cleaning gold plated hardware? My guitar is very seldom used, and when I opened the case recently, the gold hardware had a cloudy haze on it. The pickups were especially bad. I've tried all kinds of solvents, (Naphthia, Goo Gone, even a little acetone). Its gotten better, but still has some haze on it. I would like to either replace or find some kind of cleaner to remove the markings completely. I understand that the gold plating is very soft and you have to be careful not to scratch or mar the surface. Any ideas?

• 11 months later...

I bought an Epiphone Sheraton a few years back and the gold hardware was in terrible shape from hanging out in a back room for years. I got a great deal on the price because of this. A quick rub with Silvo (from the makers of Brasso and available everywhere) had it all looking like new in about 15 minutes.

Gold plated anything is very sensitive to touch and sweat. I just wipe the sweat off my guitars' gold hardware after I'm done playing and hope for the best. It may also have a lot to do with where you live and store your guitars. The oxidation process is worst if you live near an ocean due to the salt. High humidity doesn't help either. Try covering the hardware with a dry piece of cotton fabric when you close your guitar case.

Don't "fret" over it.

Jazz

[thumbup]

Archived