Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help Dating an ES 175

jlanier03

My father gave me my grandfathers Gibson Eletric ES175 guitar and we're not sure the exact date. Here are the details

Gibson ES 175 (has ES 175 10 on the inside sticker, it might also be ES175 [blush]

Hollow Body

manufactured in Kalamazoo, Mi

Has a 6 digit Serial Number (632XXX Number) with Made in USA below it.

Any ideas or info would be great.

IMG_0040

My father gave me my grandfathers Gibson Eletric ES175 guitar and we're not sure the exact date. Here are the details

Gibson ES 175 (has ES 175 10 on the inside sticker' date=' it might also be ES175 [biggrin

Hollow Body

manufactured in Kalamazoo, Mi

Has a 6 digit Serial Number (632XXX Number) with Made in USA below it.

Any ideas or info would be great.

IMG_0040

It's hard to be precise with that particular era of serial numbers. That number could be between 1970 and 1975 (but not 1973). The character after the "ES175" is probably a "D," for double pickup.

Regards,

- Kilgore

It's hard to be precise with that era of serial numbers. That number could be between 1970 and 1975 (but not 1973). The character after the "ES-175" is most likely a "D" (for double pickup).

Regards' date='

- Kilgore [/quote']

+1 to all that Kilgore said. There may be numbers on the potentiometers that would help narrow dow the date of manufucature but those numbers will only date the potentiometer and I wouldn't go to the trouble as getting the pots in and out of a hollowbody can be cumbersome even for those who know what they are doing. I would just leave it at " it's an early to mid 70's Es-175". Nice looking guitar BTW.

By the time I was done, I wondered if it would have been easier to pull the guts out, but with a dental/inspection mirror, small led flashlight and a digital camera I was able to get some clear photos of the s/n on a post-PAF era Humbucker (confirming it was newer than the PAF period), and a factory order number that seemed to be difficult to read 25 years ago...through the f-holes...one for illumination, and one for aiming the camera through...it wasn't easy, but it did work...(this was a similar body-size ES-)

Murray

Archived