Gibson Brands Forums

Unexpected string discovery for my LG1

ryanfender

So I have had my 1957 LG1 for about 6 months now. I have tried a few different strings on it (DR Rares and D'Addario PB, both light gauge). Some time ago I traded some medium gauge sets of strings for some light gauge sets. I sold the guitar I used mediums on so I didn't need them anymore. In the trade, I got one set of D'Addario EXP 80/20 light gauge coated strings and didn't think much about it at the time. However, when it came time to change strings recently I saw this lonely pack of strings sitting there and said "what the hell, I've been disappointed with everything else." Now, I am not a fan of coated strings generally. However, these strings on this guitar are great!!!!! All the other previous strings sounded nice but the bass side was lacking a bit and the tone was sometimes a bit harsh as expected from a ladder braced guitar. However, the D'Addario EXP 80/20s produce a much more balanced bass and the tone is much smoother. They are still pretty new so we will see how they hold up but so far I am very surprised.

If your looking to try something new, especially on a ladder braced LG. Giving these a try!!!!!!

x02_145810.jpg

Installed on my LG1 (I finally took decent close up pictures so I got a little happy and posted both.)

DSCF2729.jpg

DSCF2728.jpg

I have owned many ladder braced guitars ranging from the magical (a 1930 Oscar Schmidt Stella) to the it should be illegal to call this thing a guitar (a late 1940s Stella-badged Harmony). It ain't the style of bracing as much as it is how well it is shaped or radiused. I still own two ladder braced guitars - a mid-1930s Kay round soundhole archtop and late 1950s Harmony Sovereign (which has some of the best thought out radiused ladder bracing I have ever seen).

I think whether you like the coated strings depends on your style of playing. I have tried them and found that while they do sound smooth they also tended to killed off some of the guitar's punch. They do, however, seem to have a pretty long life span.

Archived