Gibson Brands Forums

SG Faded: Adjusting the action

atticus1828

The action on my Faded SG is a little high, uneven and angled down the neck from my bridge (not flat). I have dealt with it for years now, but it affects the sounds of my EMG humbuckers because the strings do not lie flush/flat with the faces of my pickups.

I am inexperienced with truss rod adjustments along with how the height should be for my bridge.

Could anyone please give me any insight on this? Any help would be extremely grateful!

There are two little thumb wheels under the bridge. You can turn those clockwise and it will lower the bridge. On the SG's with the batwing pick guard

the pickups will usually not be parallel to the strings and this should not be a problem. You should probably have a professional adjust the truss rod if needed judging by your experience.

Thank you for your reply!

Well I know about adjusting the bridge. the main problem is that when I lower the bridge screws, then the strings start buzzing on the fretboard. So I figured if there were some way to get the truss rod adjusted, that would prevent the problem of buzzing?

Blackie hit the nail on the head.

If you still are concerned about string buzz, I'd take it to a qualified luthier before messing with it yourself - just as he suggested. Some things I'll mess with, some I figure are best handled by a pro. A set neck is for the latter.

Your technique vs string gauge may also have something to do with buzz, but that's why taking it to a pro and talking about the situation to get a proper setup for your own playing is pretty important.

It may or may not require any truss rod adjustment.

m

Archived