Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Custom Finish Problem?

JNG

I bought a brand new Gibson Custom in June (2 months old). It is Silverburst with the usual white binding around the edges. Last night as I was putting it away I noticed that the binding on the top edge is silver in a few place. Is this overspray from the factory or is it color bleeding through? After each use I clean it with a 100% cotton cleaning cloth and Gibson's World's Finest Pump Polish. I've always paid close attention to the face, neck and back of the guitar while wiping it down - the edge's not so much. I'm not sure if the silver found in the binding was always there or if it is a new problem that will continue to get worse.

It's on the top edge, middle and front of the binding. (NOT where my arm tends to rest when I play).

Anybody know what this is and what I can do about it.

• 2 weeks later...

That is definitely NOT something that happens over time. If there is silver on the binding, it's been there since it left the factory. Gibson puts the binding on the guitars then paints them, then to expose the binding the scrape the paint off of the binding with a razor blade. Sounds like they just missed some. So you could call Gibson customer service to see if they will do anything about it, but I highly doubt it. But you can rest assured that the paint is not leaking onto the binding, and there will never be any more paint on the binding than what is already there.

• 5 weeks later...

I dont really have an answer for your problem, but I've had my problem with finishes from Gibson custom shop also. I bought a 1960 Double Cutaway that was suppose to be in TV Yellow finish but when I got it, it was closer to a lime green color. The front of the guitar was a different shade of color than the back. It looked nothing like it did in any of the pictures and or the original TV yellow guitars of the 50's and 60's. It plays great tho, just doesn't look nice.

Just thought I would share...

Archived