Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbuilt electronics

Jimbo79

Epiphone was using the LR. Baggs element on the Masterbilt's and you can still find some that are (new) with that setup.It's a non-invasive setup with the volume control mounted at the edge of the soundhole and the preamp built into the endpin jack.The pickup itself is a piezo type unit that sits underneath the saddle.NOW they have changed to the Shadow line of Nanoflex and Nanomag pickups with different preamp and pickup combinations depending on model.I actually played the EN (classical) cutaway with the Nanoflex/onboard preamp combination the other day and the sound is very nice.It's a little more body sensative than the element but I wouldn't say it's better or worse...just different.Now the Nanoflex/Nanomag combination is an awesome system(If you can find one that works properly!).I believe some of the 08' models will have this system.If I had to choose I would go with the element because I have never had a problem with the reliability of LR. Baggs.They are solid pickups.I recently returned an EJ-200ce because the Shadow dual pickup system was defective.One side of the blend control had almost no volume and when I went to trade it for another guitar just like it,the Nanomag didn't work at all.So in short,when the Shadow systems work ,there great, but there are just too man problems from what I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a New Masterbuilt DR 500 ME at the end of January. It has the E Sonic 2 system from Shadow. The guitar arrived with dead batteries, I assumed someone had accidentally left the built in tuner on so I put in a fresh set of Energizer 2032 Lithiums. 5 days later they were dead as well, the guitar was plugged in about 1 hour of those 5 days and I made sure the tuner was not on. I agree with Epitoner - the system is very impressive but the reliability still remains to be seen. I've talked to the folks at Shadow about the issue, they are willing to stand behind thier product, Epiphone warranties the electronics for 1 year and Shadow for and additional 4 years but becasue I only had the guitar 10 days I'm giving the retailer the chance to correct the problem or I will be forced to return it. I was expecting the guitar to have the L.R. Baggs unit. I hope this issue with the system is not a bad omen. Epitoner is there somewhere I can get additional review info about this Shadow System?

Archived