Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning Machines for AJ-500rens

1stmasterbilt

It just seems that sometimes turning the machine does nothing and sometimes turning slightly does alot of change. Does that make sense...?anyhow' date=' I was hoping to utilize the existing holes.[/quote'] sounds like you might be tight in the nut. have you did a set up. usually when what you describe happens the nut needs to be opened just a hair. a set up will cost you about 40 dollars, will be worth it

usually when you go from 1 size to the next a little truss rod adjustment is necessary. also going to mediums may require that the nut be opened just a little. usually a setup will make the guitar easier to play and stay in tune better. io usually have 1 done when i buy a new guitar, a local luthier can do it for about 40.

I have had really good luck with the Stock tuners.

I just got a new AJ500REVS this week(about my umpteenth masterbilt)

One of the things I always do with a new guitar is get a razor sharp pencil and pencil in the string slots on the nut. Pencil lead is just graphite and clay,without all the mess of powdered graphite.

I coat the string channels with it and then as I'm putting on the new strings, I push down gently right before that last turn that cinches it up into a discernible key.

Than I over tune it a hair (Somewhere between E and F) and than beat it for a few minutes,retune and once they have settled, I play an open tuning like GCDGBD or DADF#AD. Playing the guitar at a lower and higher tension sort of seems to equalize the tuning, and the winds on the strings kind of wear the channel to a smooth fit. Than when you finally tune up there is no weird catchings of the winds at the nut,which is usually (not always though) the reason for the symptom you describe (nothing happening than---blam---too sharp)

After doing this to your first few sets of strings, it is no longer necessary every time.

Also... I went to a Luthiery clinic a while back and one of the things they discussed was tuning and winding the strings. It seemed like a silly thing to discuss, but I began to do it the way they instructed (always downward with no more than 4 loops on all the wound strings) and Noticed that I was only tuning up once an hour instead of every two songs. I recorded for 8 hours the other day and tuned up my AJ500RC twice!!

I don't think they're anything wrong with upgrading , but these ones are decent if you give them a little love and help! There are some nice ones out there,but to me part of the cool thing about the MB's is that it is good to go on day one (unlike some of my F*ND#r guitars)

-piggy

I have a 2005 model AJ500RNS and also have had good luck with the stock tuners so far. I was fortunate enough to go from light to medium gauge strings without having to work on the slot spacing on the nut. I found a product at a local music shop that is a cream type white graphite. The product is called Rene Martinez Graphit-All guitar lube. I apply a small amount with a straight pin to each nut slot when changing strings & it seems to prevent the strings from binding during tuning. I saw a stringing tip on a web site that shows the end of the string being placed under the first loop when you start winding around the post. Seems to keep the strings from slipping--especially the non-wound ones. I just recently started playing again after 35 years of not picking up a guitar, so I am learing things all over again. I'm sure many experienced players use this stringing method.

Archived