Gibson Brands Forums

Loud static on VJ

Hi guys. I just purchased a VJ about 5 days ago. Been playing it straight in with a LP and a strat. Nice little amp. I believe its a V3. Havent had the chassis out yet but it does have the 5.2k OT. Anyway just plugged into it today with a strat, had the volume of the amp at about 5, all of the sudden it went right to loud static. The sound of the guitar is still there but the amp is making a loud radio type static noise. Any idea what it might be?

Thanks

OK just to give you a heads up. I took the chassis out. It has the black board, 5.2k OT, so it is a v3. This amp came with a EH12ax7 and a sovtek EL84. What i noticed is the EL84 is red plating. Too much current.

So advice? Should i take the amp back to the store? Or change the EL84 too a JJ's? I dont have any spare 84's where i am, so i would have to wait and have one shipped to me. I figure since the amp is under warranty (5 days old) from the store they will take it back.

Thanks

If I were you, I'd just take the amp back to where you bought it and get a replacement. It could be something easily fixed, or not. Swapping out the stock tube for a new one may or may not fix the problem. It might be more of a headache than it's worth to try to get it running.

tung

• 4 weeks later...

OK just an update. I sent the amp back to the store for warranty repair. The amp came back a few days ago. I played the amp for an hour the first day. Worked fine. then today i let it warm up for a few minutes. turned the volume up and no sound. looked inside the amp. Another blown tube. And they replaced it with another Sovtek EL84. Not very happy at this point.

Obviously it has to be something wrong with the circuitry.

The tube should not be "red plating". A more robust tube like the JJ will probably take more stick but that is too hot.

There is either a failure or a greatly out of spec component. Get the amp exchanged. The typical S3 VJ doesn't normally run any hotter than many other simple old EL84 based designs. [The old Vox AC30 is pretty good at cooking tubes ;^) ]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived