Gibson Brands Forums

Peavy 25 8 efx question for all of yah

Im saving up my cash to get a VJ as i really like the tone they put out. Question is right now i have this small practice amp peavy solid state 25 watts Rms. It goes into this little 8 inch blue marvel. I was wondering how it would sound and also if it would drive 1-2 12's. IF the Vj can rock out a cab with only 5watts even though tube is better, Would this peavy with 25 watts rms 50 peak be able to rock out a 2 12 cab.

Im saving up my cash to get a VJ as i really like the tone they put out. Question is right now i have this small practice amp peavy solid state 25 watts Rms. It goes into this little 8 inch blue marvel. I was wondering how it would sound and also if it would drive 1-2 12's. IF the Vj can rock out a cab with only 5watts even though tube is better' date=' Would this peavy with 25 watts rms 50 peak be able to rock out a 2 12 cab. [/quote']

Running your Peavey through a 1x12" or 2x12" cab is likely to improve the sound. Those little 8" speakers do not sound as good as a 12" speaker, IMHO.

Wattage is wattage. A 25 watt solid state amp should be able to drive a speaker cab loaded with 1 or 2 12" speakers easily. The determining factor is speaker sensitivity. This is expressed as dB/watt/meter. That means a speaker with a sensitivity rating of 100 will put 100dB when one watt of power is put into it and measured at one meter.

Having said that, tube amps usually sound louder than solid state because of the way tubes istort. Tubes distort gradually by rounding off the top and bottom of the wave form. SS devices stay clean right up until they distort and then square wave. So in a tube amp, you have an output signal that sounds relatively clean, but has lots of harmonic distortion. This is usually percieved as "warm" or "fat" sounding.

tung

so what would you recommend for relatively cheap but good sounding speakers and what type of wiring would be best 2 16 ohm bridged to the 8 ohm that the amp runs or is suposed to run at. I did alot of car audio in the past but that was all subs an all. I want to get realy good sound quality if i can. Also a question. This is a peavy transtube. Subosedly emulating tube sound how does this work??

Sorry if i sound stupid asking so many weird q's but im new to guitar amps.

Thanks

Tom

Is this your amp:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVTTRAGE258

???

If so, I didn't notice an auxilliary jack for plugging in speaker cabinets. I'm going to assume that there are two wires coming out of the chassis to hook up to the 8" speaker. You'll have to rig up some kind of speaker cable to connect the amp's output to an external speaker cabinet. If you plan on using your amp with another cab, I'd suggest taking it to a tech and having him install a jack where the wires come out of the chassis. That way you'll be able to plug the stock speaker into the jack, or unplug the stock speaker and plug into a speaker cab. Of course, you have to weigh the cost of paying a tech vs. having a convenient place to plug a speaker cab in.

so what would you recommend for relatively cheap but good sounding speakers and what type of wiring would be best 2 16 ohm bridged to the 8 ohm that the amp runs or is suposed to run at.

I'm not really up on guitar speakers. I have a pair of trusty Celestion G12M-70 "Modern Lead" speakers that I like' date=' but no one else seems to.

Some people like Eminence speakers, so you might look into those.

Since your amp is rated for 8 ohm operation, I'd use two 16 ohm speakers in parallel to get 8 ohms. Even a 1x12" cab will be a vast improvement over the stock 8" speaker.

These speakers are fairly inexpensive, but I have no idea how they sound:

Jensen Mod Speakers

The 12" models are about half way down the page.

Edit: forgot to add:

http://www.warehousespeakers.com/

&

http://www.warehousespeakers.com/clips/

These speakers are similar to Celestions, but way less expensive. I've never heard one and don't own any, but everyone I've heard of who has bought them really raves about them.

I did alot of car audio in the past but that was all subs an all. I want to get realy good sound quality if i can.

You might want to look at this page for speakers and speaker cabs. They also have a scratch & dent speakers section.

Also a question. This is a peavy transtube. Subosedly emulating tube sound how does this work??

Sorry if i sound stupid asking so many weird q's but im new to guitar amps.

Patent #7' date='206,419 came up when I searched for Peavey & transtube on this site:

US Patent Office Search

tung

The amp is not the rage but it also doesnt have a jack out the back and i would have to wire one up. Its the peavey Transtube 258 Efx Has a ton of efx onboard and with the footswitch its not to bad of an amp really. Even now with the 8 it sounds very good but I really want a little bigger sound. Yeah i was figuring bridging two 16 ohms down. I can do pretty much all the work. I'm just Looking for tips and ideas to help me figure out what i want to do with it. Thanks for all the help. Im really liking the sounds out of the valve Jr though. Thats my next project i think. As wells as some new pickups for my Sg and Some grovers. My buddy doesn't believe that you can get such big sound out of that valve Jr. He has a marshal 100 watt head. But he never turns it up. A shame that such good equipment never gets to see its true potential. ah gotta get to playin here l8r man.

Tom

Archived