Gibson Brands Forums

Epi EF-500RCCE Question

jcof3474

I am really loving the couple of Epi Masterbuilt guitars that I have played at some local stores, however I really prefer a cutaway acoustic so I am really wanting to have my local store order in an EF-500RCCE for me to purchase without playing it since it is the only cutaway version of the Masterbuilt collection. However, I keep reading everywhere that it is a "Fingerstyle" guitar so will this guitar sound good strumming it with a pick since I'm guessing that it is trully built for playing without a pick fingerstyle? Will this guitar still have a good tone playing it with a pick? I play a lot of worship style music, but I also do enjoy playing blues leads which is why I prefer a cutaway. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Usually, "Fingerstyle" refers to nut width and string spacing, and maybe neck shape--things that would make fingerstyle playing easier--rather than a particular quality of sound. However, some might describe a guitar as better for fingerstyle than strumming if single notes have greater clarity than strummed chords. The EF series guitars are described as fingerstyle more for the former, rather thsn the latter reason, I think, though their smaller and thinner bodies won't produce the same volume of sound as a larger AJ or dread shape, and driving them hard to do so could overdrive the sound.

Red 333

I own an EF-500R and it really sound good strumming it. It doesn't tend to overdrive too "soon". Howevere the EF-500RCCE has a cedar top and guitar with such wood for the top do tend to overdrive if strummed hard.

Hi All,

First post on the Epi Forum. Just got my RCCE this past week. It plays and sounds great! You can "power chord" with it and it stays clean. I was a little aprehensive about the string spacing also, but after playing classical for 10 years then picking up my old acoustic, I couldn't even make simple chords without fingers being all in the wrong places, but this spacing is great. That being said I'm getting into "flatpicking" and wonder if the spacing will hurt my efforts there?

Dave

Hey jcof,

I bought the exact model you're asking about last summer and it sounds like we play a lot of the same things. I've used it in worship and love the overall balance of tone. Compared to the AJ 500, there won't be quite as much clarity or separation for straight ahead chord playing with a heavy pick, but if the cutaway is your main criteria, then you don't really have any choice anyway, right? This is a guitar that responds to a lighter touch so if you're looking for something to wail on, you're going to be disappointed with the EF.

Archived