Gibson Brands Forums

direct box with vjr

Hi all! New to the forum and the VJR! My question is could I run a VJR head through A DI box into our bands PA mixer board and not run the speaker cabinet on stage? Would this burn up the head? A little background info: I have been using a POD xt direct into our PA for about 3 years now. Although it sounds ok it just seems to be missing that little extra something...ya know? Our whole band is using the POD xts (Rythem, and Bass players) so I know they would not want me hooking up an amp with an actual god forbid speaker! on stage! So I'm thinking maybe I could get by without having the speaker on stage and still get the warmness of a tube amp by just using the POD for the effects and the head going through a DI box (that has cabinet emmulation). Your thoughts?

Most of the DI boxes/cabinet simulators I've seen require you to have a speaker or resistive load (dummy load)hooked up to the amp. You need to have a load on the amp's output transformer to keep it from burning out.

I've used a Behringer GI100 and Scholtz Power Soak for silent recording in the past. I can't see why a similar combination wouldn't work for a live performance. The Hughes & Kettner Red Box works the same way.

Whether or not you actually like the tone will be a matter of personal taste.

tung

Hi all! New to the forum and the VJR! My question is could I run a VJR head through A DI box into our bands PA mixer board and not run the speaker cabinet on stage? Would this burn up the head? A little background info: I have been using a POD xt direct into our PA for about 3 years now. Although it sounds ok it just seems to be missing that little extra something...ya know? Our whole band is using the POD xts (Rythem' date=' and Bass players) so I know they would not want me hooking up an amp with an actual god forbid speaker! on stage! So I'm thinking maybe I could get by without having the speaker on stage and still get the warmness of a tube amp by just using the POD for the effects and the head going through a DI box (that has cabinet emmulation). Your thoughts?[/quote']

You could also invest in a tube preamp. I use an ART TUBE MP V3 as a DI box after my xt Live to run into our sound board. It warms up the tone a little, but not near as much as if I would dropped a couple hundred dollars. There just isn't enough voltage running across the plate to really do anything signficant in that application. It does work really good plugged into the front of the amp though. Hope this helps.

Archived