Gibson Brands Forums

aj-10 with gibson aj

will1281734044

hi all new to the site, play for my own amusement in private (sounds like an ad in the personal column lol) have just bought a second hand epiphone aj-10 it has an off white oval sticker inside with a seriel number starting s 12, and a plate next to the nut with gibson aj on it .. could anybody cast any light cheers

hi all new to the site' date=' play for my own amusement in private (sounds

like an ad in the personal column lol) have just bought a second hand epiphone aj-10

it has an off white oval sticker inside with a seriel number starting s 12, and a plate

next to the nut with gibson aj on it .. could anybody cast any light cheers[/quote']

Some Epiphones have had truss rod nut covers, the cover you speak of, proclaiming

"Gibson". This just adds curb appeal to the Epiphone. It denotes, I guess, Epiphone's

relationship with Gibson. Some Gibsonites deride this tactic as 'cheapening' the Gibson

brand name. But.... such is marketing. They even have "Gibson" on the even cheaper

brands sold in Best Buy, Target and other 'big box' retail department stores under the

auspices of Gibson/Baldwin music education. ALthough I think the word Gibson only

shows up on the boxes, not the instrument.... with Gibson shaped headstock.Check out

Gibby's main page for links to their other brands.

I like Epi's. It's no skin of my nose if they put "Gibson" on it.

I've only seen Epi, AJ-10s at the internet stores like Music123 and Musiciansfriend. From

what I can gather these are as inexpensive an Epiphone you can buy. Usually sold as

a 'gig pack' with gig bag, tuner, DVD, strap and a mitt full of picks. They sell for about

the same as the Department store branded Gibsons. i.e. entry level guitars. They

compete with WalMart's "First Act". A couple brands they use are Maestro and Signature.

Not sure of the quality of these latter or if this AJ-10 is comparable or better.

Archived