Gibson Brands Forums

Need Helping Identifying old Epiphone

dsettlemoir

have an old Epiphone which does not have any type of serial or model number. I have pictures but I don't know how to upload pictures to the forum. I can e-mail to you if interested in helping. Can you help me identify the model and age? Is it worth anything? Also,

1. by design, there guitar does not have a rod in the neck

2. The bridge pins are wooden.

You can't upload pictures to this forum; you have to have them hosted by another site (either a website or a picture hosting site such as Photobucket), and then you can include a link to the picture in your postings here. If you like, e-mail some pics to me (use the button at the bottom of my post); and I'll try to identify your guitar and/or post the pics so the more knowledgeable folks here can take a stab at it.

For some reason I cannot upload the pictures to another site. I took the pics with my cell phone. They should all be jpg but I get an error message that they will not upload.

Below is my e-mail address if you want me to send them directly to you just e-mail me and I will do so.

Thanks

dsettlemoir@viscern.com

Neat guitar! At first glance it looks like an FT-30 from the later 1930's, but I'll need to get out the Epiphone book this evening to make sure. It looks to be in kind of rough shape, but cleaned up it might be worth a few hundred (I haven't seen one on eBay in a long time, but I'll check and see if I've got an old auction link saved).

Looks like she's been in a bar-room brawl. I bet she cleans up good!

Wooden pins, eh? Sure they ain't aged beyond recognition bone?

I'll ask over at the Gibson forum.

Gotta love these 'barn finds'.

My pal KSDADDY came up blank on it, but one feller found a site that has a cleaned up version of yours on it. It's all the way at the bottom... interesting.

http://goodacoustics.com/previouslysold.htm #16

When I saw yours, I was thinking Harmony Sovereign. If my memory serves me, Harmony, too, had a Roy Smeck model. So is Epi a copy of a Gibson copy of a Harmony??? heh, heh. Yours appears to have an 'aftermarket' tuner.

From what this guy says, most of this style was made as a Hawaiian guitar (high action for 'steeling'. His is one of the few 'Spanish' guitars (lo action suitable for flat pickin') made with this body. If yours is of the Spanish variety, it certainly is a rare bird!

Good luck on the refurb.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived