Gibson Brands Forums

Bass strings

Knowles

I bought a thunderbird about 5 months ago and i love it, i really like its deep almost sub sound, but when i was playing the other day i snapped a string, so i changed them, all and now my bass sounds different, all tinny and loose and i really dont like it now.

Am i using wrong strings? if so which are the best, or if any one knows what gibson but on them to start off with that would be cool.

If anyone could help i would be very appreciative.

Alot of new strings are like that, but they should get less tinny over time as you play them. Next time you change the strings you could also see if you could get strings that are less "bright". Sorry I can't recommend any in particular. I usually play flatwound strings which have more thud than brightness, but that's probably not what you're looking for, unless you want to play blues or get an upright bass kind of sound. Even alot of flatwounds sound kind of tinny when you first put them on, GHS precision flats and Lakland Joe Osborne flats are the only ones I've liked right out of the package.

These are the strings I've been using for the last 18 months or so on most of my 34" scale neck basses including my explorer.

PACKAGE-DETROIT-STAINLESS1%20.gif

WebStrings Detroit Stainless mediums (roundwound 105 - 45)

Cant recommend them enough Very cheap, very consistent and the quality is great. I used RotoSounds for more than 10 years but these days I find them less consistent than they once were and here in Oz the price is just abusive.

The Webstrings are slightly darker sounding than the Roto's. Which I find suits the Gibophone type basses especially basses with Humbuckers.

Not sure what string gauges you prefer.

http://www.webstrings.com/electric_bass_strings_index.html

Archived