Gibson Brands Forums

strings

epibird

I'm a new member.

Can anyone tell me what brand and guage of strings come from the factory on a Epi Humminbird

Any recommendations for new strings--I'm trying to improve the action without modifying bridge, nut or

truss rod.

Thanks

I'm a new member.

Can anyone tell me what brand and guage of strings come from the factory on a Epi Humminbird

Any recommendations for new strings--I'm trying to improve the action without modifying bridge' date=' nut or

truss rod.

Thanks[/quote']

You can not adjust the action by changing the strings.

Take your guitar to a luthier and have him do a set up on it. Then you can choose whatever strings you want and get the action set where you want it for the way that you play.

I changed the strings on my Hummingbird to Gibson masterbuilt 12's. Better sound then D'addario or the originals.

I use D'addario strings on all of my guitars. For me the best sound comes from the D'addario EJ16 this is a set of 12's. I have played Gibson, knuckle head, Martin, and Elixer. and I love the D'addario strings. I would suggest that you buy a few different set of strings and try them out. Each guitar will sound different with different strings. To find your tone you will have to try different sets. that is the only way to get full enjoyment from your acoustic.

I use D'addario strings on all of my guitars. For me the best sound comes from the D'addario EJ16 this is a set of 12's. I have played Gibson' date=' knuckle head, Martin, and Elixer. and I love the D'addario strings. I would suggest that you buy a few different set of strings and try them out. Each guitar will sound different with different strings. To find your tone you will have to try different sets. that is the only way to get full enjoyment from your acoustic. [/quote']

Thanks for your suggestion. I have a set of D'addario nylons on my old classical and they sound great and are wearing quite well.

While you're at it, pick up a set of flat tops. If you are learning and having trouble with string squeek as you move around the fretboard, this will reduce that a bit. They don't sound quite as "sharp" as regular wound strings, and they don't last as long, either, but they might eliminate that distracting characteristic.

The nice thing about strings is that they are a fairly cheap way to experiment. Find that tone that speaks to you, it's different for all of us.'

Dugly

While you're at it' date=' pick up a set of flat tops. If you are learning and having trouble with string squeek as you move around the fretboard, this will reduce that a bit. They don't sound quite as "sharp" as regular wound strings, and they don't last as long, either, but they might eliminate that distracting characteristic.

The nice thing about strings is that they are a fairly cheap way to experiment. Find that tone that speaks to you, it's different for all of us.'

Dugly[/quote']

Archived