Gibson Brands Forums

Dear Freud-cat (re Allen Woody bass)

Garth1281734085

Honestly Garth I cannot believe your timing on this. One went for $500 on ebay last week. Location was here in Adelaide at Fretco . There was only one bid for it :/

I bought mine from Tim at Wright Guitars in Mt Barker.

Lowest I've ever heard a reseller go is $830 for a brand new one. Mine was in Tims shop for a while and I kept threatening to buy it. Eventually he had his yearly sale and it got included in that.

Ah, bugger! I'll see if I can talk them down a bit further. I'm also looking at one of those Ibanez Jet King guitars that are pretty sweet. I've been a Fender Jazz man for ten years but I'm after that Ronnie Lane/Paul McCartney chamber body sort of tone for some upcoming recording. The Ibanez is solid bodied but sounds great. It doesn't have the short scale neck though which I kind of like too. I'll probably stick with the Epiphone. Thanks a lot for your help man, Garth.

No probs Garth. To be honest the Woody is probably not the bass I would pick for that sound. I dont know how much you have played one but they have a bloody huge bottom end and very defined mids and almost no tops. They aren't thuddy in any way like a Beatle bass. The Woody is more expansive in the bottom end and has a lot more sustain and midrange cut.

If I was after that Ronnie Lane/Paul McCartney chamber body sort of tone I would probably look more at getting a Jack Casady, although that wont give you the short scale neck I guess. The other option is to go for a Viola, Short scale, sweet Mini Buckers, little bit of that hollow sound but still nice and even. Use some flats on it and I'm sure you could dial up that kind of sound.

They're some good points you have there, I should probably browse around a bit more before buying anything. I have a mate with a real Hofner who might lend/hire it to me if I ask nicely. Are Viola's Hofner copies? I'll look into them. I played a Jack Casady in the store too that sounded pretty good. The problem was that I then went up the road and played an old Gibson EB1 that the Casady seems to be largely modelled on. This bass sounded like god but is way out of my price range at $3500. A Zemaitis (or even a Hondo copy) would be nice too but that's just getting ridiculous as far as money is concerned. Decisions, decisions... Thanks again for all your help,

Garth

The Epi Viola bass is roughly based on the Hofner but not the same in a lot of ways. Some would say improved upon. The more cynical traditionalist would probably say bastardised.

Personally I like them. They have a lovely round, even neck. The 3 or 4 that I've played all felt and looked well made. The Mini buckers give you a bit more roundness to the tone that the 1 and only modern Hofner that I've played had.

There was a nice shop floor one here in Allans Music a while back that I now regret not buying as it went for $318. I played it a fair bit over a few months and through a few different rigs. Very nice little bass and IMHO very cheap indeed for its quality.

The Casady is more a take on a Guild Starfire than an EB-2 IMHO.

If you are really adventurous then you might want to go down the path of buying a Casady and putting a set of Fred Hammons DarkStars in it. Check his site here for a whole lot of background into these kinds of basses and the unique sounds they make.

These pups sound awesome but are not cheap.

Hey man,

I tried the Viola but thought it was a little thin sounding. Then I had another go the Casady and the salsmean offered it to me for $820 as it's missing the scratch plate and has a few little scratches on it. Suffice to say it now belongs to me! Thanks again for being such an informative sounding board for me and my many questions. Take it easy,

Garth

Archived