Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 5 string

Lp5Rod

I will be picking up a gently used Les Paul 5 string with the sunburst finish and noticed through web serches that this model was made in Feb of 2000. The previous owner has swaped out the rotary position switch for a pot. Otherwise the bass looks and plays great.

Wondering how hard it would be to return the bass to stock and replace the switch. Would also need a wiring diagram to complete the job. I read in a review of the bass that the switch allows splitting the pickups to a single coil for more tone options.

Can the part be purchased along with a wiring diagram from Epiphone?

Thanks, Looks like a great bass and can't wait to get it home. Kansas has a law that used stuff traded in has to sit while a serial number check is ran to make sure it isn't reported stolen. So I have to wait until the 22nd to pick up the bass.

See ya,

Rod

The original rotary switch should be a 5 position I believe. So that the pups can operate just Single-Rail , or with the rails in series or parallel. Check AllParts or similar after market companies for a 5 position switch.

Here is the wiring diagram according to the Gibson website.

http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/LP%20Bass%20wiring.PDF

Post us some pics when you get your bass Lp5Rod

Nice Explorer bass, I like the natural finish.

My LP5 is not any different than the stock LP5 bass pics I see on the on-line reviews. I got it home monday but only got to play with it today.

Here is the review I found, http://www.harmony-central.com/Reviews/EpiphoneLP-5_Bass/

I just now noticed that the knobs have been switched out too. Kinda looks like they tried to have a vol and tone pot for each pickup.

It does have a few very small dings, but nothing that would take away from the great looks. It seems to play fairly easy for a 5 string. I only just started playing and only had a 4 string. I messed aroung with a couple 6 strings and had a hard time reaching around the huge necks on those.

I will start researching just what parts are needed and see what I can do to restore the electronics.

The classic sunburst is what sold me on this bass. It looks really good. Classis yet modern.

See ya,

Rod

Archived