Gibson Brands Forums

New pickups for Thunderbird IV?

BrianBeamers

Hey everyone!! I just picked up a Thunderbird IV bass. It is a project bass of sorts. when I got it (at a flea market for $25) it was in a box. Most everything was there except for one tuner and the pickups. The question I have is where can I find a set of pick ups that will fit and not cost an arm and a leg. I check the serial number and it is a 99' model from Korea.

Please help!! I want to play this thing!!!

To get a set that wont cost an arm and a leg depends on what you regard as expensive.

From time to time Epiphone Humbucker Plus pups do come upon ebay. Usually sold by guys who have replaced them with the following:

1. Bartolini

bartolini_t4_thumb.jpg

2. EMG-35DC

35.jpg

I am told that some extra routing is required for the above 2 pups as they are replacements for the Gibson equivalent which is slightly bigger than the Epi's.

3. Seymour Duncan custom shop models

I believe about $130 per pup

I have not done any of these changes just spoken with people who have so please dont hold it as gospel truth.

Like I say the other choice is to keep an eye on ebay for an out swapped pair of Epi or Gibson t-bird pups.

As far as I am aware Gibson/Epiphone dont sell them as an after market item.

I do not think a resonator with the Epi logo appeared until after 1993 because Gibson did not produce resonators (other than a banjo resonator) until they purchased OMI (although I have heard that a guitar believd to be a 1930s era Gibson resonator has been uncovered but has not yet been authenticated).

Archived