Gibson Brands Forums

any Epiphone Orville owners?

northernbluesman

So many years ago...well late eighties anyways...my mother bought me a Epiphone for my birthday with a nasty looking headstock with what I thought was a Shriners logo on it (Crescent and moon). It was acoustic electric with a cut away, natural finish.

I think she paid a decent amount for it. I've regretted getting rid of the guitar because I realize now how poor we were, and how hard my mother had to work to afford that guitar.

Well I couldn't stand to look at that nasty headstock anymore and I traded it off for a Fender DG3 which seemed to be a decent guitar. Well...the Fender has all but self destructed.

So I bump into the person I traded guitars with and they told me the Epi has a crack in the neck and the electronics is not working...then asked if I wanted it back! FREE!

I said "sure" trying not to sound to excited. I''m a little bummed about the crack and the electronics...but I'm confident I'll be able to reserect this guitar. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm expecting it sometime next week.

So to get to the point...anyone else have Epi Orville in their collection? They're tough to find info on for sure and I've yet to see another in person (just like my super rare Epi bass).

Wow...these must be even rarer then I thought.

Not sure if "The Orville" was an Epiphone or not. That brand name, as I understand it, was originally a Japanese Gibson knock-off, complete with Gibson shaped head stock but "The Orville" or just "Orville" where "The Gibson" would be. I think Gibson won a law suit against it. Later, or because of the lawsuit Gibson ended up owning the makers of the Orville and continued selling under that name in Japan. They show up on Ebay once in a while. I think the one seen on this forum was a Les Paul knock-off. White, if my memory serves me... and sometimes it don't.

The moon and crescent was the early Gibson headstock logo that goes way, way back to the beginnings of The Gibson Mandolin company. I don't know if Orville Gibson was a Mason or if it's a Greek thing, but it was of his design.

Skip ahead a few generations. Back in the 70's or 80's Gibson.. or maybe Norlin resurrected the logo on a(n) Epiphone model(s). A year or more ago there was a link showing this model. I think the head stock was narrow with a simple arc at the top, possibly a full 180° semi-circle. Simple, but elegant.

That's all I can tell you about it. Good luck finding one. They are indeed rare.

on this subject im in the process of buying a joe perry orville from what i have read they say that there very close to gibson spec and as good or better quality ive got 6 gibsons so i cant wait to see what it turns out like, id be interested to know wheather anyone has played one or what they think about them:-s

I've found one...I almost own it again as soon as I send them the shipping. Very interesting. I wonder if I can post pics on here somewhere?????

It figures I always end up with the guitars noone else has!:-

You have to upload the pic on to another host sight like photobucket.com(free), then in the text editor page, click the icon at the top with a mountain and a sun (moon) on it. Just follow the instructions on the pop-up. Then Bob's your aunt, you've got an image we all can look at.

If you don't like being the sole owner of an Orville, I'll take itoff your hands for 20 bucks.

btw. I think the one Orville we saw posted here as a LesPaul knock-off. quite well done, too, I suppose. I believe it goes back to the old board days and may be electronic flotsam unless somebody saved the post and link. And... according to the post, it was a guitar which rivaled or surpassed Gibson quality.

When up against a wall.... consult Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orville_by_Gibson

Sometimes Wikipedia info is dubious, but generally it's close. Call it a step off point for your research.

Here's a link to the National Music Museum and a display page of a historic Gibson guitar with the original Gibson headstock. Given that, as you state, yours is an electric over acoustic, I suspect yours isn't like this one.

I hope everyone is clear that this is indeed an acoustic guitar with a piezio under the saddle. I remember it was a decent guitar with one of the smallest necks I've ever played.

I traded it to a small framed female guitarist/ performer about ten years ago and have kinda regretted letting it go. Especially when you consider I traded it for a Fender DG3 (junky). But it fit her very nicely.

After speaking with her recently she mentioned it had a crack in the neck and would like to give it back to me. So I'm currently trying to nail her down to get it. She said she no longer plays and probably never will again...

But I'm dying to get my paws on it, I hope I can repair the crack and fix the piezio, which also doesn't work. I could definately use an acoustic/ electric for my studio and the band project.

I hope everyone is clear that this is indeed an acoustic guitar with a piezio under the saddle. I remember it was a decent guitar with one of the smallest necks I've ever played.

I traded it to a small framed female guitarist/ performer about ten years ago and have kinda regretted letting it go. Especially when you consider I traded it for a Fender DG3 (junky). But it fit her very nicely.

After speaking with her recently she mentioned it had a crack in the neck and would like to give it back to me. So I'm currently trying to nail her down to get it. She said she no longer plays and probably never will again...

But I'm dying to get my paws on it' date=' I hope I can repair the crack and fix the piezio, which also doesn't work. I could definately use an acoustic/ electric for my studio and the band project. [/quote']

I can't wait to see it! Hide glue is your only choice for this kind of fix.

Well I sent the check off today. Everyone cross your fingers that Orville makes it here in 1 piece...relatively speaking.

I've been reading about people using CA glue of various thickness'. It's a waiting game at this point

While CA glue has it's advantages in some types of repairs, I don't think it's indicated here.

Again... Check out Frets.com for Frank's description of this type of repair. If you don't get it right, it'll fail at the least opportune moment with maximum embarrassment potential.

Good luck. I cain't wait to see pics of the new girl in the house.

Hello,

I am new to the forums, and found this topic on a google search about the Gibson / Epiphone Orville series acoustic. I was trying to do a little research on the guitar because I own one. Its got the crescent moon and star logo at the top, the butterfly above the sound hole and the little gibson plate at the bottom of the headstock. I believe based on the serial number its a 1984 but Im not too sure. It has a built in pickup, with the knobs on the side of the body. Im trying to find out more about this guitar, how rare it is, and possibly its value. It does have some wear and dings, however its in perfect playing condition and sounds great. No cracks or warping, and the fretboard and action are both flawless. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks guys,

-Greg

Well...Ladies and Gentlemen...It's been 12 years and Orville has come home

I hope this works. Let me check.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn14/davepicguy/PB190034.jpg

That will woork for now. I'm quite sad since a guitar stand was shipping inside the guitar case with the guitar so there is some damge in various areas. Also the neck tenon is separated

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn14/davepicguy/PB190037.jpg

It appears to have been glued before and I would think it would be the way it came new.

And there is an almost spiral type crack in the neck that starts at the headstock and ends mid neck; sorry for the blurry pic, I need to set up the tripod I guess

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn14/davepicguy/PB190039.jpg

It's very tight and a firm twisting motion is required to open the crack, and it does open a bit, almost a millimeter I would guess.

The fret board is completely bone dry so I've been dowsing it special sauce, but I fear the frets have seen to much damage, some are twisted and really protruding from the fret board.

What do you folks suggest on this one? Can I save it?

For real! I have another acoustic (goya) that is 54 years old that is twice the condition of this guitar. It sucks. I am thinking about paying someone to fix it, instead of myself mutilating the poor thing, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. It has alot of sentimental meaning to me personally. It is in the humidity chamber as we speak enoying some 50% humidity and 62 degrees.

I'll see what happens to those fret ends in a few days. This thing was as dry as a bone when it showed up. The fretboard looked very bleached out.

Well my buddy thinks at least $500 for all the repairs from a qualified luthier...I'm kinda thinking that way as well. Does this sound in the ballpark with any of you in the know?

Sentimentality justifies a lot of expense some times. A good luthier will be able to repair this. $500 seems high, but the only way you'll be able to know for sure is to take to a few luthiers for estimates.

The neck re-set is a text book fix. The neck crack, well.. is another story. This is an odd kind of break, even for an old Epi / Orville. Looks like the normal scarf joint between the neck and headstock, but it's a bit low on the neck and sharper than usual. One end of the neck will have to be secured then the other end twisted to open the crack, then.. hot hide glue will have to be pumped into the opening. Then, quickly, the neck needs to be straightened out and clamped. Doable, but a little ingenuity will need to be employed to effect the 'twist'. Might be easiest with the neck off the body. Which will be done anyway to re-set the neck.

Then.. new frets, all around. Then, since you're 'in there already', a new nut and saddle would be nice. If they are OEM, they really should be replaced.

Good Luck.

Archived