Gibson Brands Forums

Best pickup for Hummingbird?

Matt the Cat

Hi

Wanna know what you guys think.

I have an Epi Hummingbird, want a new pickup (currently have a quacky cheap piezo).

Have narrowed it down to Fishman Matrix Infinty or LR Baggs M1A.

Which one would suit the Hummingbird the best?

Opinions please! I'm looking for good balanced tone (want it to sound like an acoustic guitar!). My style is hard strumming with a bit of picky stuff thrown in for good measure!

Cheers Matt

Anyone else got experience of these pickups?

There must be someone out there!

I don't have an Epi with a pickup YET' date=' but am considering adding one to my AJ500RC. Last week I was in a Gibson dealership and noticed both of the Gibson brand Hummingbirds came from the factory with pickups already installed. One of my favorite artists is Paul Thorn and he plays a Gibson Hummingbird with a pickup, it sounds VERY good. Perhaps the product Gibson uses would be a good choice?

Dugly default_eusa_wall.gif

I don't have an Epi with a pickup YET' date=' but am considering adding one to my AJ500RC. Last week I was in a Gibson dealership and noticed both of the Gibson brand Hummingbirds came from the factory with pickups already installed. One of my favorite artists is Paul Thorn and he plays a Gibson Hummingbird with a pickup, it sounds VERY good. Perhaps the product Gibson uses would be a good choice?

Dugly default_eusa_wall.gif

Do you know what they use? Definately worth consideration, thanks.

Do you know what they use? Definately worth consideration' date=' thanks.[/quote']

Sorry, Matt, I didn't ask. The dealer was trying to interest me in one, but it wasn't half the guitar that my Breedlove is and it was almost the same price.....and I was there looking for an Epi AJ500RC anyway, not a Hummingbird.

I suspect Gibson's customer service department could tell you, perhaps even provide you with one. If I were you, I'd start with Gibson, not even try the Epiphone customer service department......sometimes they don't even know the models Epiphone offers at the Epi CS department, so I wouldn't have even the least expectation that they might know about a Gibson product.

Good luck.....one of the things I've heard (from the tech genius in Paul Thorn's band) about Gibson's Hummingbird model is that it is a bit dead acoustically, perhaps that is the reason they have started to make them with onboard electronics. Yeah, I was curious enough that I PM'ed him via the Paul Thorn Community forum.....he's very technically knowledgable! I must admit that I like the sound of the Epi Hummingbird more than I do the Gibson Hummingbird, but when Paul plugs his in it is pure musical magic!

Dugly ](*,)

Archived