Gibson Brands Forums

Attenuator

Hi all, just got a Version 3 Valve Jr. Love the amp and it sounds great. The problem is playing at home the darn thing is too loud! I've been researching Attenuators and have ordered a Weber Mini Mass. I was reading the instructions and had a question of the following,

"Most combo amps have internal speakers that can be unplugged from the amp chassis using a 1/4" phone plug. UNPLUG the speaker from the amp. Run a short speaker cable from the output of the amp to the INPUT of the attenuator. You may then plug the speaker directly into the SPEAKER OUTPUT of the attenuator, or use a male-to-female extension cable if the speaker's wire won't reach."

Isn't the the cable that is plugged into the speaker from the output of the amp? Can I use this cable to plug into the INPUT of the Attenuator? Then I need another cable to plug into the speaker and the SPEAKER OUTPUT of the Attenuator, right?

Maybe it's just how they worded the instructions but this is a bit confusing.

Yeah bad wording.

On my V3 i would unplug the wire going to the speaker and put a cable in the 16ohm output jack (Where you just took out the wire) and plug to the attenuator input then the output from the attenuater you plug in you speaker (the little bit of wire from the back of the combo previously plugged into the 16ohm output)

Bit of a mouthful to explain #-o

Thanks, that's what I thought also. I'm just placing the Attenuator between the output of the amp and the input of the speaker. Since the amp output is plugged into the speaker, that cable should be plugged into the input of the attenutaor. Then I need to buy another speaker cable to blug inot the output of the attenutor into the input of the speaker.

Wow, I guess I just had to see that typed out. It makes sense.

Archived