Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Special

zonie

Except for an occasional strumming on my Gibson 12 string I went for a number of years without playing guitar at all.

Then about 12 years ago I got a bug to see if there wasn't a low cost electric that I might get at a reasonable cost.

After trying several guitars I settled on a Epiphone Special. It felt like my old Gibson Les Paul Jr that I had back in my High School days and I liked the looks of it.

Better than my Les Paul Jr. it had twin humbucker pickups.

One thing I didn't like about it was its lack of a pick guard so going from some old pictures I layed out a shape that would work. One of the local Guitar shops cut out my pattern and installed it. I was a happy camper!

EPIPHONE-SPECIAL.jpg

After getting my Epi Special I bought a Fender Telicaster, Fender Squire Strat., Epiphone DOT and a Epiphone PR5E.

I gave the Fender Squire Strat (and a small Crate Amp) to my nephew (wasn't impressed with it at all) and still have the rest of the guitars but the Special is still one of my favorites.

The neck feels right, the weight feels right and although they aren't the best pickups even they sound good to me.

It is now over 12 years old. The neck is still straight, the electronic controls all still work fine and the only thing that has been done to it is to replace the strings from time to time.

I've been asked for an opinion by many who wanted to buy a beginners electric guitar and I have always said that it is hard to go wrong with a Special.

I see Epiphone now has a Special 2 and I haven't looked at them or tried them so I have no idea if they are better or worse than my old Special. Hopefully they are better.

Anyone except me willing to admit having a Epiphone Special?

My brother bought a special 2 limited which came with gold hardware and I really liked everything about it except the weight. These guitars seem to be well built and are great for beginners. About a month ago I bought a used special 2 with a scalloped fretboard and absolutely love this guitar.

I've got one (special 2). Perfect when you're lazy to take another from the hardcase... ;)

don't like pickups... but some GFS soon will be living in it. If you look at the weight, it's absolutely briliant. Can't feel bloody thing on you at all comparing to it's older les paul brothers...

Archived