Gibson Brands Forums

'56 Goldtop Bridge

BillyGibson

I almost forgot I had a Std. Cherry Burst LP. I've been playing my

'04 GT I bought used. So I took out my Std. and noticed the intonation screws

faced the p/u's. Then I looked at the GT, and they faced the stop piece. I did

some reseach and most people agreed the screws should face the p/u's. This

is especially true if the strings hit the screws when they face the stop piece.

I looked closely, and the strings were touching the stop piece. So I got to work

and decided to change the strings and flip the bridge around and lowered it a little too. Not knowing exactly what

I was doing, I set the saddles as closely as I could to the saddles on my std. (This came

from Epiphone and they sound fine to me). Then I put new strings on. Stretched them. Tuned it up.

Stretched some more. Then tuned it up again. I did the harmonic thing with the 12th fret and my

tuner. Most are right on A couple are flat, so I'll play with that a bit next. For now, it sounds fine.

I'm even more excited with it than when I bought it. It plays great. Since my ear's are still untrained, I still don't know what the fuss is with the noise of the P90's. I like 'em.

Flipping the bridge is a work-around that is frequently done when there is not enough travel to properly intonate the G string. Sometimes you run out of travel and have to do that. It also involves removing the saddles and reversing them to re-gain the proper orientation.

Archived