Gibson Brands Forums

Jaguar Copy

MisterMonster

Are you sure it's not some kind of Firebird? A Firebird looks very similar to an upside down Jaguar (Fender actually had a patent on the offset double cutaway body style that partially led to the switch to the "non-reverse" Firebird body style in 1965).

I've never heard of such a thing. Photos would help. It surprises me, because those Epi super-strat type guitars were made in response to a market demand in the late '80s / early '90s, and let's face it...Jaguars and Jazzmasters are beloved by people who love them, but they have never been enormously popular. Even Fender had trouble shifting them in the past, so why would Epiphone bother to make a copy? Unless it was a short-lived model inspired by Kurt Cobain's Jag-stang or something.

I wonder whether one could take a bolt-on neck off one of the Epi S or T style guitars, and fit it to a Squier or Fender body that was missing a neck, to make some sort of Frankenstein guitar...?

EDIT:

Good thinking Eric...does it look a bit like this?

Firebird65.jpg

I have never seen an Epiphone non-reverse, but that doesn't mean that they haven't been made at some point....

Archived