Gibson Brands Forums

'63 Epiphone Professional

SK

Hi all - just wandered here to steal some of your knowledge. I've been looking into selling my fairly new Gibson ES-339 (neck is too big) and replacing it with something more manageable, and today I played a 1963 (Gibson era) Epiphone Professional at a local guitar store. I have to say - the thing sounded, and played, freekin awesome. The original amp connector/tone wiring has been removed so there is a big hole on the side, another pickup added at the bridge wired to a standard three-way switch, one tone and one volume control, there is plenty of aging on the finish and one large dent on the neck, and it has had a refret. Anyone had any experience with these? It still had some serious mojo.

I had two main problems with it:

1. They're asking $2500 CAN (selling it on commission), which is more than you would often pay for it with matching amp in this condition. Add in the various modifications and I think that is too much. Do you think an offer of $1600 is too low?

2. It's ugly. The finish is nice, but the big pickguard seriously looks crappy. How crazy would it be to mount the pickups onto the body, drill holes for the volume and tone control, and put a more classic 335 style pickguard on? Basically, turn it into a Sheraton of sorts. It's not like it is in exactly pristine condition as it is - really its a player's guitar, not that collectible. The tone was really killer, and it had that vintage vibe. Still something uncomfortable about tearing up a vintage guitar. How hard would it be to fill the screw holes for the pickguard?

Another question I had is how I can check if the electronics, esp. the pickups, are original.

I had two main problems with it:

1. They're asking $2500 CAN (selling it on commission)' date=' which is more than you would often pay for it with matching amp in this condition. Add in the various modifications and I think that is too much. Do you think an offer of $1600 is too low?

2. It's ugly. The finish is nice, but the big pickguard seriously looks crappy. How crazy would it be to mount the pickups onto the body, drill holes for the volume and tone control, and put a more classic 335 style pickguard on? Basically, turn it into a Sheraton of sorts. It's not like it is in exactly pristine condition as it is - really its a player's guitar, not that collectible. The tone was really killer, and it had that vintage vibe. Still something uncomfortable about tearing up a vintage guitar. How hard would it be to fill the screw holes for the pickguard?

Another question I had is how I can check if the electronics, esp. the pickups, are original.[/quote']

Scroll down to view/read writeup on the '63-'69 Professional..

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/epiphon2.html

The two main problems overshadow it's real worth. Regardless of the vintage status, these were an

oddity at best, and not too popular with the professionals. If you are thinking of shelling out $1600+..

and do a lot of rework to turn it into a "335"..which it is not, why not go for a Sheraton..

a much better guitar in looks and playability and with a set of Gibson Classic 57s,

it's pretty hard to beat.

Archived