Gibson Brands Forums

P-94's coil tap or not?

wedgeSG

I'm in the process of building a G-400. Although I have several different configurations

in others I own, but they all are somewhat PAF voiced. The project has the factory vibrola and

is getting a roller bridge/Graphtec nut/and a RS vintage kit. To change things up a tad on

this one I'm using some E-Bay sourced Gibson P-94's and since the pups are 4-conductor

I've debated on coil tapping them. I already have the standard matched pots from the RS

kit so this mod will necessitate buying the push-pull pots to make it tap-able. Should I just

do the basic install or should I consider coil-tap on the P-94's a must do? I really hope to

wind up with a familiar feeling instrument that sounds markedly different than the others I

currently own. To clarifiy that - an Iommi with Iommi's, a '66 with a BBII/Angus, a '62 with a

BBII/BBIII, and a '62 with a SD l'il 59/PG. The cherry's with Gibson's are RS equipped: the SD'ed

one has stock wiring except for orange drops and the Iommi is dead stock. What do you guys

think? Go with what I have for now and change it sometime later or without hesitation do the

coil-taps at the beginning? If you can eloborate on the tones I might expect from this arrange-

ment that would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance to any and all who respond....

Wedgie

Archived