Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Epiphone SG Custom

jjb1rjb

I recently picked up an Epiphone SG Custom that has a tremolo and the arm is missing (It looks like the new Angus Young model). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement arm for it? I also need a cover for the electronics on the back.

Finding it difficult to find Epiphone replacement parts.

Thanks

Ok, this how I finally managed to get some parts in the past...it works but it's kind of a pain and

is probably the long way around. For the most part aftermarket stuff will need modifications to fit

but sometimes may be the only option. Even some Epi parts, (like your cavity cover), won't inter-

change even on the same model due to age, plant, etc.

So call Gibson Customer Service- during daytime work hours this is when you'll get the most

knowledgable, helpful tech people and have your Custom's serial number handy. Hopefully they

will run down and provide you with the proper Epi part numbers for the parts you need. You may

have to repete this process a time or two before you get someone who WILL help you with this.

Part numbers in hand you're halfway home. They will not deal direct so you have to find a dist-

ributor. Here's the tough part... this will need to be an authorized Epiphone dealer that is hope-

fully a small Mom and Pop shop not a chain. GC can order the parts for you but probably the "staff"

will not know how or will "forget-to" frequently. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find an Epi

dealer at that level: due to qualifing standards that low volume shops have trouble meeting. If you

can locate such as shop that will, (actually), work with you: then you can order your part numbers.

After an extensive wait, you'll go get your -(likely-prepaid-non-returnable-special-order-parts). In

the highly unlikely event that they are in fact correct for your particular Epiphone install-them, record

the part numbers and store the info in a safe location for future reference. You should also take any

days available off from work and book a flight to Las Vegas to hit slot machines before this gigantic

stroke of luck subsides. If you recieve a part that is correct you might be able to retire after hitting

the jackpot in SinCity.

Kidding aside, plastic parts, check with some of the folks that use the classifieds in the guitar rags.

you'll wind up with better quality stuff for about the same dollars. Specialty parts you might have to

do EvilBay or modify aftermarket to suit. I've been down this road and it ain't no fun wait'n 'round to

discover that your new Epiphone parts have arrived and that while they fit a G-400 they won't fit your

G-400. I wound up modifing the new Epi parts into templates and then forwarding them to another

source to be copied into new pieces that would fit made out of better materials. Good Luck in your

project and searches....

Wedgie

Archived