Gibson Brands Forums

replacing Les Paul Pickups

sbrown67

Hello all, I have an '05 Epi LP Classic and would like to change out the stock pups for some 490R/498T's or Burstbuckers. However, I have heard rumors that the pole spacing on the Gibson and Epi are different and that I would have to get pickups with "F" spacing. Can anyone tell me if this is true or if I can go ahead and get the regular Gibsons? Any other advice would be looked upon kindly.

Thanks for your help,

Scotty

Beam me up Scotty! "F" spacing refers to Fender or Floyd (as in Floyd Rose). Not what you need for your LP. The pickups you mentioned will fit fine. The bridge (ex. 498T) pickup has slightly wider spacing than the neck (ex. 490R), just like the pickups that are now on your LP. R = Rhythm = neck, T = Treble = bridge.

Center the pickups so that the low and high E strings are evenly spaced to the strings. There's little effect from pole spacing on the string output. You might notice that the poles are not exactly centered, but it's not a problem if the outer strings are on the edge of the pole rather than the center.

You guys rock!! I didn't think that would be the case, but a guy hates to burn $$$ for nothing. Ask the experts and save time and money!!

As soon as my new camera memory card comes in, I'll take the before and after pics. It better get here soon, with Christmas less than a week away!

Thaks again all!!!

Scotty

Archived