Gibson Brands Forums

Bye-bye Elitist Pauls

rudi

Howdy folks. Some of you probably know this, but I just confirmed from Gibson that the Epi Elitist

is no more. Limited to what's extant in the stores. I scored one yesterday. These are built by Japanese luthiers with American parts, and I gotta tell you lads, this is the nicest LP I've every played, including a couple of $4000 models and

I just plain like the Epi better. What will happen now, I bet - or in the next 5 years - is massive appreciation of the value of these. What can you get hand made by masters anywhere, let alone Japan, who have clearly demonstrated

their abilities as engineers, desiners, and craftsmen?

Earlier this year, I bought the acoustic I've wanted for 30 years or more - a Gibson Hummingbird. What a gorgeous box. Crystal clear, loud, and plrnty of that Gibson WOOD. I feel that the Elitist Les Paul I just bought is close if not equal to the build on the H'bird. Actually, the Bird is flawless and therefore out of the running.

My suggestion to my fellow EpiHeads is to find and snap up an elitist. I think Gibson is yanking these because they are putting the US LPs to shame. I can't get a clear answer from Gibson, which is even more suspicious. Get on the phone! Get down to the store! Buy one of these last remaining Eitists. Remember, it has to be the Elitist to have been built by those Japanese masters. There's a semi-tasteful "elitist" sticker under the headstock, by where the volute would be on a Martin. Sweetwater? Out. Musician's Friend? Out. Sam Ash? Out. I hope you're near a big city. Even with LA at my disposal, I could only find this one.

Peace and calluses to you...

Rudi

One more thing - I saw an Epi "Masterbilt" acoustic at the same place (Instrumental Music in Thousand Oaks), and this acoustic sounded amazing. It was shaped like a Gibson J-45. A good one, like from the 40's or 50's. These, too are probably worth snapping up. If you could buy one of these Epis for $1200 and a J-45 for $3500...and the Epi sounded as good or better - well, hell's bells, that's why Gibson is so anxious to ditch the Elitist/Masterbilt series: They're taking way business from Gibson, because people know they're just as quality at a half to a third the price! I pretty much spent all my sheckels on this LP, but if I had the cash, I'd snap up the Epi J-45

Howdy folks. Some of you probably know this' date=' but I just confirmed from Gibson that the Epi Elitist

is no more. Limited to what's extant in the stores.

Rudi[/quote']

Actually I think everyone knows about it already but congrats on the LP! I've heard great things about the elitists and I just wish that I could find one to try it out. Oh yeah and you should post pics of it, forum rules. It's a shame that elitists are no more...

GC

If you are anywhere near Nashville or Memphis, Gibson has two showcase retail stores. The location at Opry Mills had 5 Elitist Les Pauls, an Elitist Byrdland, Elitist ES-335. I live in Tennessee so I am at a disadvantage since I have to pay state sales tax of 9.25%, so I got mine off of Ebay for $700 shipped. It is an '03 Elite LP Standard Plus, and bone stock. It is my favorite guitar. It's is a pretty nice chunk of mahogany, and it just rings with sustain.

Archived