Gibson Brands Forums

Question on Weird Serial Number

Michael Bean

I bought a used Les Paul "Special Model" in Chicago in 2004 and have yet to figure out

It's year it was made. I'ts serial number does not conform to the standard serial number

formats it starts with a "C" as in Charlie and then is followed by nine digits. As I understand it

some model years started with a C and then was followed by 6 digits. According to Gibson Standard

serialization by Zachary R. Fjestad were made in 1974 and 75. Also, in 2005 they started a nine digit serial number system but with no letter desigination. So, is a screw up in the embossing of the

serial number at the factory or what. anyone who can help would be appreciated.

Ok, well after a more close inspection of the number it looks like the serial starts

a CI and then the eight digits but, it still dosent seem to completly conform beacuse

the 97010344 using the YYdddppp format this means this gutar was made in 1990 but the

ddd portion (790) dosent make sese beacuse there are only 360 days in a year.

any other comments on this engnma is appreciated

btw- the serial number is stamped on a metal plate that at the point where the neck

is attached to the body. Here is one that looks simular to mine on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370132308421

Assuming your serial number is CI97010344, that puts it at 1997, production number 0344.

The CI factory doesn't show up in Guitar Dater Project's archive, but the general consensus is that it's Cort Indonesia.

Is there a "Made In" sticker anywhere?

The breakdown is Factory-YY-MM-PPPP

Archived