Gibson Brands Forums

My 'bird!

Matt the Cat

Thought I'd post up a few pics of my H'bird. It's slightly non-standard, I've added a bone nut and saddle, an under-saddle pickup with internal preamp, brass bridge pins with MOP, changed from Grover Roto Kidneys to Keystones and strung her up with Elixir Nano 80/20 13's. Not much left to change!!

Anyway, here she is.

guitar016.jpg

guitar020.jpg

guitar019.jpg

guitar017.jpg

VERY nice looking bird there Matt. My 'bird is in the shop. Changed the saddle to bone and was hoping this would help with my high action issues higher up the neck. It didn't help and I don't feel qualified to handle the task. She is in the hands of someone much more qualified to do this. Will get her back Friday afternoon. Can't wait.

Nice looking 'Bird, Matt! I've always had a thing for Hummingbirds, will probably have one at some time in the future. I happen to favor the natural finish ones, you don't seem to see them come up for sale much. I also like the idea of an endpin pre-amp, might investigate that for my AJ500RC--NOT going to mess up the guitar by cutting a big hole in the body for an electonics pack. Had .013's on one of my Washburns, didn't like them.....hurt too bad, but that was when I was just starting to play steel-string guitars and didn't have callouses. I have some .012's on one of my dreadnoughts, like them and plan on trying a set of .012's on the AJ500RC.

My 'bird is in the shop. Changed the saddle to bone and was hoping this would help with my high action issues higher up the neck. It didn't help and I don't feel qualified to handle the task. She is in the hands of someone much more qualified to do this.

Good to hear you've been at the 'Bird, BTG, and congrats on making the right choice to send it to the luthier! I'm anxious to hear what the luthier has to do to fix it....you could get lucky and need nothing more than to have the nut slots filed deeper.....has the action at the nut always been high or did it develop slowly?

While the luthier's at it, did you ask him to make a bone nut for it? There are a lot of different opinions regarding the tone improvement, but the longevity issue is a no-brainer. Put a bone nut on now and nobody will ever need to replace it....pulling strings through the plastic nut slots is just like pulling a small rat-tailed file through the nut. It wears plastic away, not bone.....and it's a great match for that new saddle!

Just curious, did you happen to take photos of the process as you were replacing your saddles? Might make a great thread....we never know who's searching the forum or for what topic.

Dugly O:)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Hope your action issues get sorted BTG.

Dugly, I reckon the LR Baggs Element is worth looking at for your AJ 500. Discreet but quality pickup that Gibson fit as standard in all it's Modern Classic acoustics, not too expensive either.

Happy Christmas, Matt

Hey guys,

Dug, sorry, didn't snap any pics of the saddle replacment. Never thought of it. It probably would have been a good idea. Th action on my bird was high when I bought it. I mentioned it to the salesman and his reply was something like "yeah, it's a bit high, don't worry about it. It isn't bad" ! In hidnsight, I probably should have whacked him in the head with a guitar strat and said.."MAKE it right" but, that's the price I guess I pay for inexperience. I haven't considered a bone nut yet, maybe in the future. I can't wait to get it back. I've actually spent more time playing my EL-00 because of this issue. Will keep you guys posted. If I don't make it back here before Fiday..you guys have a Merry Christmas.

Archived