Gibson Brands Forums

Help in Identifying this Epi Les Paul

wwheats

Hey,

I'm thinking about buying this guitar on ebay and can't figure out which model it is. The SN is 101042922 and it is a limited edition model. I know it's Korean, made in 01, but that's it. The ebay item # is 160306486196. Which special edition is it? Any opinions or thoughts on these years would be helpful as well since I'm new to Epi's.

Thanks for the help.

Hey I guess you've got a bargain there. if you can, just go for it..for a price like that it's all very good. a pair of dmarzios, locking tuners, brass switch.. and looks nice too.. as far as the model is concerned i find it really difficult to tell..it's probably a Standard plus top but it's a limited edition as well..hmmm...well it's a bargain..

Thanks for the help. I doesn't look like there is any way to identify which "special edition" it is. Are the Korean made models considered better, worse, or the same with the new Chinese made one's in terms of quality and playability? Is there anything in particular to look out for with these?

Well to be really honest as far as i know, before when the guitars were made in Korea they were much more consistent. My guitar teacher who owed about 15+ Korean Epiphones, out of which 8 were Les Paul, were really very good. Non, when i say non, I mean non of them were lemons, all the guitars were playable right out of the box, had good actions, good finish, sturdy feeling, they were really very good. after the guitars started being manufactured in china at early stages i can remember my teacher telling me not to but the Chinese ones as he tried about a dozen in the store and they sounded and felt, comparatively, inferior to the Koreans. But that now has changed Chinese now have reduced their lemons..they are far more consistent now are really good.

but you can't just judge by their location you might get lemons which were made in Korea and same from china too..

Archived