Gibson Brands Forums

Thunderbird - Best Bass for the Bucks

JMirow

I don't usually go around joining forums and posting stuff unless the experience that I've had is so overwhelming that I just have to tell somebody. I've been a guitar / bass player for many years - I "quit" about 15 years ago when loss of hearing and arrival of my son pretty much ended my heavy metal days. I'd been rocking hard since early teenhood, and while it had been fun, the fun was over. Time to work and raise a family.

12 or 13 years go by and my wife suggests I buy an acoustic guitar so we can sing on "open mike nights" as she is an acomplished jazz simger. I said "Do you really want to start this?" - she had no idea what I was talking about. 2 years later and our basement now resembles the finest rock start stages with a 24 track 500 watt per side Yamaha mixer, main speakers, monitors, 6 mikes, digital recorder and much more. I'm back in the fever with a vengeance and it's not long before we're being recruited by some friends to start a performing hard rock band.

Long story even longer, I decided that my old heavy metal bass's glory days were over and I began looking for a new bass. The first one I bought was the Epiphone EB-0 copy. For $159 bucks plus a case it was a real steal. I was impressed by how good the quality was even at the low proce point. I just wanted something small to plink around on - but I got way more than my money's worth with this axe. The finish is pristine with a deep cherry glow found in guitars costing thousands. Friends came over and played the bass and coul not believe I bought it for $159. Well, as will happen - that short scale bass got too short for real rock n'roll so I began a search for a full scale bass. I had almost no money and no big Holidays or Birthdays coming up. Well, at $239 I just couldn't pass up a new Epiphone Thunderbird Bass (Guitar center list $449, discount price $279, 20% off all Epiphones Sale $239) plus $59 for a form fitting case.

This bass is my new best friend of musical instruments. I just can't believe I paid so little for such a quality item. I got the dark brown sunburst (I don't know what they call it, but it reminds me of finishes from the 60s) and again, the finish is so rich and deep I just can't believe this fine quality instrument cost os little. As I began to play with the new band - everybody remarked "Nice axe, dude" thinking (I'm sure) that this was an original Thunderbird. It sounds amazing even through the most modest amps (Behringer) and literally gets the walls rattling. What can I say? This much quality for this amount of money is simply amazing. Keep up the great work guys and we'll keep buying your products for years to come.

Oh, after a few days of playing I was cleaning the sweat off the finish when I noticed an issue - the input plug on the face of the bass had become lose - I'll have to take off a few screws from the backing plate and tighten it up. If that's all that ever goes wrong with this - I'm the clear winner in this deal!

JMirow

Jmirow@comcast.net

Congrats on the new bass and playing again. Input jacks coming loose are pretty much a reoccurring theme for Epiphone. No biggie though. Easy fix and you're on your way.

If ever I am in the market for a new bass, I'll definately be considering the Thunderbirds. Especially since they just announced the Thunderbird Pro 5-string. Very nice.

Archived