Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup question

crispo77

Hi I'm new on here and I have a sheraton that I love. I play it through a Marshall JVM205C and it sounds real good. Ive started a band recently and we've done 4 gigs now and its really taking off, anyway I was considering upgrading the pickups, possibly to Gibson 57's. I was just wondering how much difference I'd notice really. Would it level out the otput difference between the two pickups I currently see? Cheers =D>/

Clear me if I am wrong here' date=' but all guitars actually have their bridge pickup a bit closer to the strings..anyway doesn't, placing the pickup more closer to the strings kill it's sustain ?? BTW Gibson 57 classic is actually a great choice..you wont be disappointed at all..[/quote']

Not to close of course, Gibson Factory specs are: Bridge PU height 1/16''(1.6mm) and neck PU height 3/32''(2.4mm)

on both E strings measured when depressing the two outer E strings at the last fret.

Underside string to top of polepiece.

Peter

Just checked my pickup heights and they match up with those numbers but still the bridge pickup output is lower. How will the pickups sound different to stock pickups? (very hard question to answer I know)

On my Epiphone B.B.King Lucille i lowered the neck PU to 8/64 (3.2mm) to even out the balance.

The Gibson '59 Classics would sound less ''muddy'', brighter with better definition.

The bridge PU sounds warmer and less ''spikey'' with a nicer high and bottom imho.

Peter

On my Epiphone B.B.King Lucille i lowered the neck PU to 8/64 (3.2mm) to even out the balance.

The Gibson '59 Classics would sound less ''muddy''' date=' brighter with better definition.

The bridge PU sounds warmer and less ''spikey'' with a nicer high and bottom imho.

Peter[/quote']

Cool, thanks for the feedback, thats exactly the improvements I'm looking for O:)

Archived