Gibson Brands Forums

90's LP Standard Details & Spec

motleydude

Can anyone shed some light on the 1990's LP Standards? I have some old brochures and they do not give a lot of detail. The main area of confusion is the necks.

Quite a lot seem to be bolt-on, but i can not find any spec/production details on these models. I've tried scouring the 'net but have found nothing.

Taken from Epiphone's archived web-page for December 1998:

Les Paul Standard

lpstandard.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This solid body electric was built to 100% Gibson Specifications authorized by and designed in cooperation with Les Paul.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features & Benefits

Scale Nut Length: 24.75"

Nut Wide: 1.68"

Slim-Taper, Fixed Mahogany Neck with Rosewood Fingerboard for great feel and maximum playing speed without fatigue

Carved Flame Maple Top with Solid Mahogany or Alder Body for great sustain with warm lows and killer highs

Gibson Designed High-Output, Dual Chrome Humbucking Pickups for classic rock sound, vintage looks and lasting beauty

Chrome-Plated Tune-o-matic Bridge and Stop-Bar Tailpiece for individual string intonation adjustment and superior sustain

Specifications

Pickups 2 Humbuckers

Hardware Chrome

Scale/Nut width 24.75" / 1.68"

Neck Joint Set

Neck Material Mahogany

Fingerboard/Inlay RW / Trapezoid

Binding B / N

Body Material Mahogany / Alder

Top Flame Maple

Thanks for that' date=' but what about the bolt-on necks?

The thing is, I am looking into getting an older Epi, but want to get my facts right fiirst.[/quote']

As I understand it, the 1990s Epi Les Paul Standards always had set-necks. However the "Les Paul Studio Standards" had bolt-ons.

LP Studio Standard

lpstudios.gif

Features & Benefits

Scale Nut Length: 24.75"

Nut Wide: 1.68"

Specifications

Pickups 2 Humbuckers

Hardware Chrome

Scale/Nut width 24.75" / 1.68"

Neck Joint Bolt

Neck Material Mahogany

Fingerboard/Inlay RW / Dot

Binding B / N

Body Material Mahogany / Alder

Top Flame Maple

The LP-100s always had bolt-on necks, and still do, to this day:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=42&CollectionID=6

Can I ask why you are so keen on a '90s Epiphone Les Paul? The contemporary ones, especially those with an EE serial number, are much better instruments IMHO.

Certainly.

I have an '05 Studio (pictured) that is a good quality guitar that plays and sounds excellent. The other 'workhourse' guitar is an '06 G400 (secondhand) and the quality is nowhere near as good as the LP. The wiring is a bit 'hit and miss' with blemishes and looks like it has been thrown togather, the sound is nowhere near as mellow/bluesy as the LP.

So, i am looking at an older LP, as they seem to get good feedback from the reading that i have been doing. Some have set necks and others bolt-on. Have been assuming that the Studio Standard and LP-100 were not around then. Would like a set neck again, but ideally want to find best year/model/factory combination.

Hope it all makes sense?

Certainly.

I have an '05 Studio (pictured) that is a good quality guitar that plays and sounds excellent. The other 'workhourse' guitar is an '06 G400 (secondhand) and the quality is nowhere near as good as the LP. The wiring is a bit 'hit and miss' with blemishes and looks like it has been thrown togather' date=' the sound is nowhere near as mellow/bluesy as the LP.

So, i am looking at an older LP, as they seem to get good feedback from the reading that i have been doing. Some have set necks and others bolt-on. Have been assuming that the Studio Standard and LP-100 were not around then. Would like a set neck again, but ideally want to find best year/model/factory combination.

Hope it all makes sense?[/quote']

Sure, it all makes sense.

Sorry to hear that you're not happy with your G-400. It can sometimes be a crap-shoot. People say that the ones with DW serial numbers are poor, but I got lucky with my EE (even though I ordered it unseen from Musicians Friend).

DSCF02461.jpg?t=1233851660

Good luck hunting for a 90s LP. If you don't find anything you like, I'd still take another look at the modern ones. I had a couple of Epi LP Standards in the '90s, and I reckon the newer ones are better built, and have great tone and sustain. The factory-fitted Grovers are nice too.

Archived