Gibson Brands Forums

Side-by-Side comparison EPI LP Studio vs Raven West LP "RM300DX"

animalfarm

Out of curiosity, I scarfed up a Raven West LP copy based on appearance and previous

product reviews. I 've had the Raven git for a day, played, did string change and set-up,

stripped it apart to look at the insides, looked for blems, etc. Info as follows:

EPI LP Studio -

Duh, we know what it has. Specifically, Alnico Classic humbuckers, Grover Tuners,

Big 500K pots inside. It plays like it plays, yassuh! (Me like how it plays).

Raven West LP (RM300DX) - (Now coming to you from Indonesia?)

Body Weight - Same as Studio.

Neck - Slightly thinner than studio, feels thinner when played, but not bad.

Visual appeal - Wow! What you see in the website pix IS what you get, It is one

pretty guitar! All trim and inlays up to snuff. The Gold plated Pickup covers go with

the finish (+10), however the tuners, bridge, and tailpiece are "satin" finish. Blecchh...

would look 1000% better if ALL were shiny gold.

Electronics - Has G and B brand pickups (who dat?). Adequate output, but doesn't have the sustain

or "kick you in the nads" output/sound of Alnicos or better. (Not a lot of low-end output).

The tone volume pots are 500K, but are only as big around as a US nickel. HUH? When

turning up the knobs, the pickup out put gently increases, but no significant crunch until

hitting volume/tone level 7 out of 10, then it kicks in. I play my EPI around midrange, then turn

up from there if needed.

Overall - Actually a decent guitar, but needs upgrades to make it PLAY as good as it LOOKS.

But what do you expect for Ebay $250 - $300? I'm actually pleased with it, but gotta admit, it

sho' don't play as good as EPI! Beautiful git, with upgrades would be a keeper.

My long range plans are to upgrade my EPI pickups, then tranfer the "stock" Alnicos to the Raven,

change small pots to larger EPI-style pots, look for bargains on gold plated hardware... That's

it, folks.

EPILesPaulandRavenLesPaul1.jpg

EPILesPaulandRavenLesPaul2.jpg

RM300DXBack-1.jpg

Well unless it's a blem or used they are selling on EBay for $389 with a BIN of $429 + $38 shipping = $467, not $250-300.

I'm not sure what that back wood is but I suspect it's a veneer of some odd sort as it don't look like any of the "mahogany" used on imports. Probably covering up a 4 piece body.

Overall it is what i said it was, the same old body that's been being sold for over 10 years now with a different headstock.

SELLING on ebay, yes. But BIDDING, no. Bids in progress for 3 more just like

mine, currently at $202.00, $182.00, and $35.00 in descending order. Another

similar LP copy with "Sunquilt" finish currently at $26.00. The price/bid WILL

go up as the end approaches and folks that want it panic. The seller WILL SELL

at the $389.00 price IMMEDIATELY, but, hey, BID on it, get it for less if you win.

Gut feeling is that "they" ain't gonna run out, so why pay asking price?

As stated before, NO BLEM! REALLY! Price shall remain secret for National Security

reasons...Yuk, yuk!

Hey, MarxBros. - Regarding "tempered tuning", there is an article covering that

at www.stagepass.com/tuning , this is the same principle that you

learned from the jazz master?

Hey' date=' MarxBros. - Regarding "tempered tuning", there is an article covering that

at www.stagepass.com/tuning , this is the same principle that you

learned from the jazz master?[/quote']They are stating the correct theory, but I'm not in complete agreement on their method of tuning and cross checking. If I get some time I'll post the complete nuts and bolts of the exact, specific lesson I got from Johnny on how to tune. He also showed me how to intonate the guitar properly.

One point that he told me when intonating was revalatory at the time.... even when done correctly, unless you do it yourself or are present when your tech does it and he has you play up and down the neck to verify, it will not be correct. Why? You need the guitar set to your typical playing touch. If the tech sets it to his chances are it will not be close enough to your touch.

I see the Mel Bay website is selling a book by your man Johnny Smith. Wow, I

TAUGHT MYSELF to play back in the day using a Mel Bay book. Fond Memories...

93669.jpg

More good reading:

DrSeuss-1.jpg

Gotta do SOMETHIN' between physics equations...

Albert-Punk-Rock-Blues-Einstein--16.jpg

I see the Mel Bay website is selling a book by your man Johnny Smith. Wow' date=' I

TAUGHT MYSELF to play back in the day using a Mel Bay book. Fond Memories...

[img'][/img]93669.jpg

Johnny is one hell of a player with a killer ear....very few folks ever attain the lush, sweet playing style he displays. On top of that he is a wonderful person, I wish I had one tenth of his personality and one quarter his ear for lines. I applaude you for even knowing who he is.:-&

Archived