Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone HotCH(G) vs. Gibson 498T

GoldenHound104

Just picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Cherry Sunburst, flame-maple top, grover tunes, and standard epiphone pickups. Can someone, in considerable detail, tell me what the difference is between the Epiphone Hotch(g) and the Gibson 498T? These are both bridge pickups in the the respective guitars, and I'd love to know what the specs are on the pickups.

Number of winds, types of magnets, voltage, resistance, why one is preferred over the other? I believe the Gibson has more bite - correct? I've also been aware for some years that the weaker pickup usually contributes more tone, i.e., Rickenbacker, etc.

The newer Chinese Epiphone Les Pauls are being made with Gibson spec'd 490R & 498T pickups. How do these compare with Gibson pups?

Thanks in advance!

I took the Hot Ch out of my LP Custom as I found it was Hot but lacked definition and character I have gotten from Duncans,Dimarzios,Gibsons,etc...

I put the 498T in and it was a Night and Day difference.

I have since put a Duncan Custom Custom in and Love it but do mis the Mid ,mid- high modern tone the 498T produces.

Great pickup IMO.

"The newer Chinese Epiphone Les Pauls are being made with Gibson spec'd 490R & 498T pickups. How do these compare with Gibson pups?"

I have not heard anyone say that the PUs in recent MIC epiphone LPs sound any better than those in the recent past...

Archived