Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ-500RCNS

Gio

Today the music shop where I buy almost all my equipment received two "new" Masterbilts: a nice DR-500RAVS and a fantastic AJ-500RCS, which I never saw in the Epiphone catalog.

It's a 14 fret AJ with rosewood body BUT with cedar top. And, believe me, it's incredible. It's the second best Masterbilt I ever played (after my own EF). Its sounds like a great slope shoulder and then some. I even strummed it hard trying to overdrive the cedar top but I wasn't able to.

Now I'm gassing once again....I thought I was at peace with my Masterbilt, a MArtin OM-18V and a Telecaster Thinline 69 reissue but....I'm in trouble.

Slot-head or peg head?

This is the first time I've seen this model mentioned, sounds very much like the AJ500RC although that guit is a 12-fretter design and has a slot-head.

That combination of solid cedar over solid rosewood is, as you mentioned, haunting.....great tonewood combination, IMHO!

There's a Masterbilt EF model with that tonewood combination, too--the EF500RCCE, check that one out if you like your EF!

Dugly [-X

Hi Dugly,

Bloozeguy's description is correct. And, I insist, the sound is amazing. Vintage, deep. I already asked the guy at the shop to keep it on hold for a few days while I think about it (and gather the money to buy it selling another part of my comics collection...).

Archived